Jockey wheels, maintenance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My 5800 has far more float on the upper jockey compared to the lower, I just reached behind my desk to check.

Diesel-d at the same time as the chain
A wipe over of the running surfaces, & an old toothbrush to 'force' some into the casing/shell

Threadlock on the screws every time when you put them back on after taking them off for a thorough clean.
Oddly, the lower bolt on my CGR (long-cage 105) keeps tightening up:wacko:
To the point, that back pedalling, makes the chain 'droop' enough to touch the chain-stay

Ajax Bay

Guru
Oddly, the lower bolt on my CGR (long-cage 105) keeps tightening up:wacko:
To the point, that back pedalling, makes the chain 'droop' enough to touch the chain-stay
Well perhaps threadlock would stop it 'tightening up'? Surely you screw the bolt in till it's tight. How can it tighten? What is tightening it: friction from the jockey wheel's rotation?
I reckon it's more likely there's something else going on to have this effect.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well perhaps threadlock would stop it 'tightening up'? Surely you screw the bolt in till it's tight. How can it tighten? What is tightening it: fristion from the jockey wheel's rotation?
Yep, I'd say so too, the jockey wheel should be free to rotate no matter how 'tight' the bolt is clamping the bushes and sideplates.

Reactions: C R
Well perhaps threadlock would stop it 'tightening up'? Surely you screw the bolt in till it's tight. How can it tighten? What is tightening it: fristion from the jockey wheel's rotation?
It's never been dropped on that side *, & it's only started happening in the past 2 - 3 months
Slacken it off by 1/2 turn & it's okay

I've checked the cages with a straight edge (steel ruler) & they're okay
There's no visibe imperfections to the 'covers'/casings
Bushing seems okay too

* One 'down' due to ice a year ago, but that was onto the left side of it

Top Bottom