Jockey wheels, maintenance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
By right place you mean that there are top and bottom ones?

What sort of grease do you use raleighnut?

Your "I'd" suggests that you don't actually do it?

The top and bottom ones are different. Make sure you know which is which when you have them off.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Gave a whole rear mech a deep clean the other day including jockey wheels. Opened them up and cleaned and regreased. First time i've done it, a simple job.
Sorry to be a bore but do you use any special sort of grease? Light or heavy? Or just any grease you have to hand?

Might be my imagination (and I did change the chain at the same time) but the bike does seem to run better.

Salty seadog

Sorry to be a bore but do you use any special sort of grease? Light or heavy? Or just any grease you have to hand?

Might be my imagination (and I did change the chain at the same time) but the bike does seem to run better.

I've heard people say a light grease, I use teflon grease as that's what i have around. I don't think it really matters, just get it in there.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
  1. The top pulley has sideways 'float' (about a millimetre) it's how Shimano got indexing to work. Older derailleurs didn't have this and occasionally the sideplates of the chain would ride on top of the cog if you 'fluffed' a gearchange (I'm looking at you Simplex :cursing:
  2. I inherited a tin of Shell 'Retinax A' about 30yrs ago, it's nearly all gone now so I'm trying a tube of modern white stuff, not as good but then the old (Possibly pre-war but certainly 50s at the newest) is a water resistant grease.
  3. How very dare you.
I've never worn out a jockey wheel in over 40yrs of riding derailleur equipped bikes, I've trashed a couple of mechs in 'offs' and kept the jockey wheels as spares but never needed to use them.

Many years ago I serviced my 1st index capable rear mech ( a Shimano 'New 105') and although it wasn't indexed on the Carlton I fitted it to putting them back wrongly resulted in the changing being as bad as the Simplex one that was wrecked when a lorry ran it over. When I found out that the wheels were different I was able to rectify it but I only found out when I went to buy some new ones that what I'd thought was wear on one of em (and had therefore put it at the bottom) was actually part of the design.

DSCN0111.JPG

'New 105' fitted in about 87 to my 1967 Carlton Clubman

Salty seadog

Here’s a snippet of advice I could do with learning: What is the difference? Let’s also assume I didn’t take note of which was which when I removed them.

I run Shimano Deore XT and 105s. Thanking you.

I don't know if there is a difference in construction but on sub 10 speed the top one has a little float, sideways motion. this is not the case in the 10/11/12 speed bikes as the float then contributes to poor shifting as the cogs are closer together together and tolerances tighter.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Here’s a snippet of advice I could do with learning: What is the difference? Let’s also assume I didn’t take note of which was which when I removed them.

I run Shimano Deore XT and 105s. Thanking you.
Just replaced an ultegra set.

Top one marked G.

And bottom one had directional arrows. Remarkably when all was back together I had managed to get the arrows pointing the right way.

Edit - a sensible 9 speed.

OP
OP
Blue Hills

Ajax Bay

Guru
Earlier this year I replaced worn jockey wheels (OEM Shimano ones with bushings) with a pair of BBB (£10 the pair) ones with bearings. The two were identical (ie there wasn't a top/bottom designation nor one with a 'G' on. They've only done 4000k so far.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/jockey-wheel-maintenance.213572/ for pictures.
Anyone find a decent explanation of what improvement in effectiveness using jockey wheels which are top/bottom designated (and fitted the correct way round) offer over a pair which are the same.
I've read all the stuff about the top one needing sideways float but (having searched) can find no decent explanations.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Earlier this year I replaced worn jockey wheels (OEM Shimano ones with bushings) with a pair of BBB (£10 the pair) ones with bearings. The two were identical (ie there wasn't a top/bottom designation nor one with a 'G' on. They've only done 4000k so far.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/jockey-wheel-maintenance.213572/ for pictures.
Anyone find a decent explanation of what improvement in effectiveness using jockey wheels which are top/bottom designated (and fitted the correct way round) offer over a pair which are the same.
I've read all the stuff about the top one needing sideways float but (having searched) can find no decent explanations.
It seems 10 speed up no longer need the float,
I don't know if there is a difference in construction but on sub 10 speed the top one has a little float, sideways motion. this is not the case in the 10/11/12 speed bikes as the float then contributes to poor shifting as the cogs are closer together together and tolerances tighter.

Never owned a Shimano 10/11/12 speed and my 653 TT bike has Campagnolo 10 speed mind you I've never stripped that down (it's only got around a thousand miles on it since I built it up.

Top Bottom