JOG to Carlisle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbiep

Über Member
Hi,

If afraid I'm a bit 'green' on this part of the country and would like some advice on the best route.

As the distance is pretty similar what are the pros and cons on the 2 following routes:

1.JOG - Inverness - Fort William - Glasgow - Carlisle or
2. JOG - Inverness - Perth - Edinburgh - Carlisle

As I say the distances look similar and I guess I would like the 'easiest/fastest' route. Is there anything I should know to really make my mind up, of is it just a case of choosing either?

Once again thanks in advance for any help.

Robbie

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Hi,

If afraid I'm a bit 'green' on this part of the country and would like some advice on the best route.

As the distance is pretty similar what are the pros and cons on the 2 following routes:

1.JOG - Inverness - Fort William - Glasgow - Carlisle or
2. JOG - Inverness - Perth - Edinburgh - Carlisle

As I say the distances look similar and I guess I would like the 'easiest/fastest' route. Is there anything I should know to really make my mind up, of is it just a case of choosing either?

Once again thanks in advance for any help.

Robbie

I enjoyed the first option and can't see any downsides. Folk advise against riding on the A82 but I had no problems with it in either direction when I did a LEJOG and a JOGLE.

I cannot comment on the second option as I have no direct experience of it.

snorri

Legendary Member
I always choose Option 2.
The Inverness- Perth section is all on quieter roads or the NCN. I will admit some sections of the NCN are not super smooth, but I am prepared to put up with that as i find it a more pleasant route. The Perth to Edinburgh section is all on roads, but these are not overly busy.
Option 1 is more exposed in parts if there is poor weather. I rather envy those who say they had no worries on the A82, I have driven it often enough and have no inclination whatsoever to cycle it.

Next year I will be going up the West route from Haltwhistle and down the East useing mainly "B" and unclassified roads. I am looking forward to crossing the Erskine Bridge on the way up and the Forth Road Bridge on the way down. As to which is the better route, well I will report on that next year. Though I suspect crossing Carter Bar and catching sight of my home and adopted County will be one of the highlights.

PpPete

Legendary Member
We went inverness-aviemore-pitlochry on the NCN-then via crieff to Stirling-lanark (via somewhat intricate route past cumbernauld)-moffat (half day)- carlisle
Aiming to upload the gpx tracks soon.

Top Bottom