JOGLE food info please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2wheelerdealer

Planning a JOGLE next spring and among the thousand things I need to plan one big concern is regular food. I am told I need about 4000 calories a day . I intend to use eateries when the opportunity arises but that may be a problem in rural areas, Scotland etc
Any advise about pre packed stuff I can carry would be helpful

Brandane

Legendary Member
We have food shops and eateries in Scotland! But I take your point, they can be a bit thin on the ground once you get north of Inverness. Plus they have an annoying habit of closing by about 5pm.. I have cycled up that way on a MoG to JoG ride a few years ago (Mull of Galloway lighthouse to JoG) and didn't have any problem finding places to eat, and I do have an appetite for proper food! I used B&B's rather than camping, which obviously helps as you are getting a full breakfast (or at least you DID, pre covid) and evening meal. To supplement main meals, my food of choice is Stoats bars, especially the raspberry and honey variety.

Jameshow

Veteran
I did it in 2019 in 8 days.

I always found somewhere to eat.

More for the chance to get off the bike and rest for half an hour!

However I did tend to carry enough food to allow me to skip a meal if I needed too.

Food such as malt loaf, fruit cake, flapjack (with rasins!)

My other rule was if it was wet eat indoors if dry outdoors.

I'd pick up a meal deal or pastie for lunch + 2 Belgian buns!!

Planning a JOGLE next spring and among the thousand things I need to plan one big concern is regular food. I am told I need about 4000 calories a day . I intend to use eateries when the opportunity arises but that may be a problem in rural areas, Scotland etc
Any advise about pre packed stuff I can carry would be helpful

Where are you staying ? B&Bs have food. I really don't think you will have issues - it's not like you are cycling through barren wastelands.
Get a top rube bag and you can fill it with flapjack and stuff and snack as you go.
What do you eat on your rides now ?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Why not cook? Pasta, rice, some travels well if packed right and no where near as complicated or heavy as its made out to be. I have a little box with herbs and spices as well.

OP
OP
2wheelerdealer

2wheelerdealer

Where are you staying ? B&Bs have food. I really don't think you will have issues - it's not like you are cycling through barren wastelands.
Get a top rube bag and you can fill it with flapjack and stuff and snack as you go.
What do you eat on your rides now ?

I’m camping, doing it on a budget, and to get back to nature. But thanks for the info

Top Bottom