John Franklin - Planning for Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
http://www.gmcc.org.uk/main/wp-content/uploads/Manchester.pdf

Table 1 shows typical cycling speeds. Note that very few people cycle at less than 10 mph. Below this speed, balance is more difficult and cycling less comfortable. Above about 10 mph, however, a bicycle becomes largely self-steering, requiring only slight body movement to maintain stability.

Table 1: Typical cycling speeds (on the level)
10 - 15 mph Leisure rider
10 - 20 mph Children
10 - 15 mph General utility/commuter
15 - 20 mph Confident commuter
20 - 30+ mph Sports cyclist

People automatically ride in the way that is most energy-efficient for them, and it is not widely appreciated that each cyclist has his or her own optimum rate of pedalling, or cadence. We would all recognise that making someone ride faster than they prefer will be tiring for them, but obliging
someone to ride slower than their preferred speed for any significant time can be as uncomfortable.

The road network accommodates the range of cycling speeds very easily. If other infrastructure does not do likewise, people will either shun it, or are likely to ride at speeds that are unsafe for the circumstances.
(my emphasis)

Origamist

Legendary Member
Thanks for the link, John.

I really wish Franklin would annotate his work! A number of his assertions are open to question and I would like to see the sources supporting them.

Top Bottom