Just a service and MOT please..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Did a service and MOT on a Kawasaki Versys 1000 today, chap hadn't noticed it might need a new front tyre..

Never ever seen a front tyre worn down to the steel, first time for everything! :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
Holy Reagan! :ohmy:

As if us motorcyclists don't have enough opportunities to die already!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Like going round a corner in the wet and running over a drain cover. That's an off no question. Front wheel losing grip first is buttock clenching at the best of times.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Just riding it into workshop the steering was horrific (due to triangle tyre).

Just can't believe people don't do a walk around their vehicles, even once a month.

Irony was it was a nice clean bike!.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Had this beauty next, chain was seized solid, took two of us to push it onto the bench!.

I'd have put money on it being the rear caliper but was no better with it removed..

Not knowing anything about motorbikes, is that a kind of axle stand in that first picture (seized chain bike)? Or just for steadying the bike?

figbat

Slippery scientist
Not knowing anything about motorbikes, is that a kind of axle stand in that first picture (seized chain bike)? Or just for steadying the bike?
It looks like a homemade workshop stand. The bolt in the swing arm is a temporary thing allowing it to sit on the stand and hence lift the wheel off the ground; there will be one the other side too. You can get ‘bobbins’ to fix permanently to the swing arm to facilitate quick and easy use of a paddock stand.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Scary that there are bikers out there who don't notice these things - or if they do, choose to ignore it. How can anyone put a bike forward for an MOT without at least doing basic checks? In fact how can they even take a bike out on the road without doing basic checks?
The front tyre on my VFR is getting down a bit but still a way to go to the wear markers. You can feel the handling going off, so it will be changed next week. I have a Michelin Road Pilot 4 sitting waiting, and an appointment to take loose wheel in to get it fitted. Then the season begins.... :smile::smile:

Top Bottom