Just a simple little bell...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm with those suggesting bells are pointless. They're no good on drivers, and I don't think they're generally well received by pedestrians either. They tend to be interpreted as a "get the 'k out of my way" just like car horns.

Much better just to slow down and call out a cheery good morning/afternoon/evening.

97p Wilkinsons http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/bike-a...5c9JpLNSwrw15WzH1s5IFGGovMJQL/qR NqmEBPhxgQ==

Having just done 80 miles at the weekend, most on shared paths, bells DO work and ARE appreciated. The 'two tings' works wonderfully as most people will look or move, couple that with a definate drop in speed and peds have no issue with hearing that bell. Its nice as well to give a little wave when people look, and to thank them, as it helps establish the human relationship that we are all just out enjoying ourselves rather than a 'them and us' mentality. Shouting excuse me, or similar is ok too but personally I stick to just shouting 'Bicycle!' very loudly if the 2 tings doesn seem to have worked then waving when they look.

I often share a few words with people, especially if they seem to be scurrying or jumping when I ting-ting that I'm NOT trying to say 'get out of my way' and I just want to avoid surprising them. You never know whats going to happen as that person you blast by with no warning, could then causally stroll by you 30 secs later after the puncture fairy visits. I often as well, especially for families with children, add a friendly 'its ok take your time' or 'its ok I'm not in hurry'.

Ok so some people don't bother looking or moving, but why should everyone else suffer and be treated with no respect just because you met that ignorant person? And are they being ignorant, or deliberately awkward because they have a bad impression of cyclists? Lets change people's attitude for the better:thumbsup:

For Road use, yes, I 100% agree.
But the OP was refering to Shared Use cycle paths. IMHO a bell is a very good tool for such use.

I was referring to shared use paths and tracks. I'm my experience I would estimate about 90% take no notice, most are too busy on their mobile phones or have earphones in listening to ipods. Then of course you just the plain ignorant.

I was referring to shared use paths and tracks. I'm my experience I would estimate about 90% take no notice, most are too busy on their mobile phones or have earphones in listening to ipods. Then of course you just the plain ignorant.

IME I would esitimate 90% take plenty of notice, are not too busy on their phones and are not listening to music. But some are just ignorant yes.

fimm

Veteran
What I don't understand are the people who, when you have slowed down and said "excuse me", then say grumpily "Why don't you get a bell?". What's wrong with me slowing down and saying "excuse me"?

What I don't understand are the people who, when you have slowed down and said "excuse me", then say grumpily "Why don't you get a bell?". What's wrong with me slowing down and saying "excuse me"?

Nothing some people are just grumpy haha:laugh: The lady who was struggling to control her dog yesterday gave me a mouthful when I commented 'they are a menace aren't they' :whistle:

Still want a very loud horn / buzzer but then I am just an OAP growing old in a disgraceful way^_^

Glow worm

Legendary Member

You just can't win with some folk. I've had peds get all huffy with me for a polite ping on the bell to alert them I was approaching from behind on shared paths. That said, I reckon the vast majority are fine with it to be fair. I do worry about passing older people though as I hate the thought of making them jump - and they often can't hear a bell. I find it's often best to just get off and walk past them then hop back on again.

Maybe this is the answer.....

Attachments

• queens-music-bike-450.jpeg
    queens-music-bike-450.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 39

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
For Road use, yes, I 100% agree.
But the OP was refering to Shared Use cycle paths. IMHO a bell is a very good tool for such use.
I'm with mikey on this one, any sort of horn or bell has no personality to it...so can be interpreted in the wrong way. whereas your voice, your toneation and volume cannot.

If I want to let ped's know I'm there I tell them.

Try this little test.

You are cycling along a shared path, there is a ped in front who is not aware of you. do you find this frustrating/serious enough to call out to them with "excuse me"...?

if not... then why use a bell?.

And what is it about the bell that we find easier to use than our own voice.

I suggest its that a bell IS impersonal, which is why peds react poorly to them.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
No please dont.

you already have all the equipment you require, perhaps all you need is the confidence to use it.

A simple "excuse me" or a sterner "whoa!!" does the trick and is rarely misinterpreted

However a bell can be used at a much greater distance... the ding-a-ling can give peds much more warning and is far more inoffensive than bellowing from a distance. Of course some peds do need both a bell and an 'excuse me' before they realise there's a bike behind them.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
From a pedestrian point of view (I walk places often, not always cycle) I find it rude to be bellowed at by someone on a bike. Also, if he/she is so near me that I can hear them without them shouting, that IMO is too near. Sorry, but I strongly disagree in this "flying down the road, everybody out of the way" way of cycling on a shared path/park. It is startling and unpleasant to pedestrians and slower cyclists too. If necessary, rather than chancing hitting a pedestrian or other cyclist in a tight space, I stop and dismount. If I ring my bell, I do so in good time, so people have time to react.
Gimondi wannabies could maybe refrain themselves till the coast is clear?

akb

Veteran
The shared use cycle section for my commute is on the last 2 miles of the commute. At this point I am usually nackered! The bell does come in handy, from a distance, when the words are muffled by the heavy breathing...! ^_^

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
However a bell can be used at a much greater distance... the ding-a-ling can give peds much more warning and is far more inoffensive than bellowing from a distance. Of course some peds do need both a bell and an 'excuse me' before they realise there's a bike behind them.

No bellowing required, just an Excuse me. Bellowing is reserved for moments that require a sterner approach (peds about to step off pavements is a good example)

Top Bottom