Just back from A&E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
@Globalti would know (although protocols and surgeons do vary). I was in overnight after my labral tear repair, perhaps luckily as my arm was totally numb and useless until the nerve block wore off...and then it hurt like fook!
Maybe call the ward you're being admitted to and ask?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've just had another call from the trauma nurse to say they've scheduled me in for surgery tomorrow afternoon.
I'm getting the impression that I was given the wrong advice when I was sent away to let it knit and come back in a week. No matter, it'll be a relief to get this sorted sooner than later.

I forgot to ask if this would involve an overnight stay, anyone know from experience?
If it's under general anaesthetic I'd say an overnight is likely.

bianchi1

Guru
I was out on the same day when I had my plate fitted. The pain is so much less once the operation is done I was happy to get home.

Im at the moment back on a waiting list to get it removed. Its been 12 months and i dont even notice it anymore (apart from a bit of numbness around the scar) but I dont fancy falling on it again with metal work in.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes my plate was done mid afternoon and I recovered well from the anaesthetic, had no nausea or other problems so was allowed to leave at about 9pm although I could have stayed overnight if I'd wanted. Actually the whole experience was pleasant and pain free and I felt great afterwards. When the nerve block wore off I controlled the pain with paracetamol only, after stopping codeine because it messed me up badly. Keeping a note of paracetamol times helped me to keep it regular and keep the level up.

I got a very small infection in the scar about a week later but antibiotics sorted that.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Im at the moment back on a waiting list to get it removed. Its been 12 months and i dont even notice it anymore (apart from a bit of numbness around the scar) but I dont fancy falling on it again with metal work in
I’ve had mine in for 4 years now and it still worries me if I ever fall badly again, but surgeon didn’t seem to think removing it was that important unless it was bothering me, which it doesn’t.

bianchi1

Guru
I’ve had mine in for 4 years now and it still worries me if I ever fall badly again, but surgeon didn’t seem to think removing it was that important unless it was bothering me, which it doesn’t.

I was in 2 minds myself but I ski and ride at the track (where I did it) so there's a big chance I will fall again at some point. Also some issues about the plate making the bone weaker in the future. I believe the standard medical advice is just to leave it in. I have no issues with back packs or seatbelts but would just rather it was out.

12boy

Guru
Here's a thought.... there are many exercises that can be done without involving your shoulder....leg lifts, squats, toe raises, lighter weights with your good arm, all kinds of stretchy band exercises for legs, gut and your good arm.. Lots of good stretches, too. When I was recovering from a broken pelvis I would what I could with sanctioned exercises 3 to 4 times daily over and above three times weekly sessions at the therapy clinic. My ortho Doc said I healed as fast as he had seen, and said the exercise I did on my own stimulated the healing process. So does drinking lots of water and getting at least 8 hours sleep a day. Best wishes for your recovery and your future cycling adventures.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Sorry to read about your accident, GC.

I didn't get to see the x-rays so I am only going on what I can see and feel but yes, it does seem to me to have separated at the AC joint.

If all the pain and swelling's at the shoulder end, then that sounds likely. I broke my collar bone at the AC joint almost exactly a year ago to the day, tripping over a kerb, the clumsy chump that I am. I was lucky in that the bone ends weren't displaced. Very painful for 2-3 weeks, then diminishing in discomfort for another 3 weeks. I actually found that cycling wasn't painful! - so I kept on cycling to work. (Not exactly the orthodox treatment, but then I'd broken it by not cycling... )

Hopefully getting it plated will mean a reduction in the pain and discomfort. It's certainly worth while asking your surgeon about physio and what exercises you can do to maintain range of motion in your shoulder (it's a bit too soon to worry about strengthening exercises just yet). I'd advise you to get physiotherapy treatment through your medical insurance as the NHS physiotherapy service is overworked, and you may not get all the physio you need. The other important thing is to do all the exercises your physio gives you as that can be just as important to recovery as the surgery.

Anyway, good luck with the op!

Top Bottom