Just back from A&E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Do you mean the outer end of the collar bone where it meets the shoulder at the AC or acromioclavicular joint? If that has separated, yes, you do need surgery.

So the bone has not actually broken mid-shaft?

I didn't get to see the x-rays so I am only going on what I can see and feel but yes, it does seem to me to have separated at the AC joint.

truman sparks

Hi GC - welcome to the club! Seriously - I can only echo the comments above and offer best wishes for a complete recovery. I broke my (R) clavicle just before Christmas 2017 coming off a Brompton at (relatively!) high speed...I did a good job on it as well,- badly comminuted (broken in four places), with one shard-like fragment almost penetrating the skin of my shoulder. 'Conservative management' recommended by A&E, which meant I was in collar and cuff for Christmas; however, the orthopaedic consultant who saw me on 29/12 said the bone fragments weren't even in the same postcode. Had open reduction/internal fixation on New Years day - the pain post-surgery was negligible, certainly nothing compared with what I'd experienced in the days/nights before.

Long story short - was back on the Brommie by end of February. Functionally, everything works, although it looks/feels a little odd at times! Time and exercise do help...I'm back cycling & climbing with no major ill effects.

Hope all goes well - ATB from a fellow Weegie!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Prolly not; the latex bands come in different thicknesses/colours and can be cut to any length then a loop tied, meaning you can hook one end over a door handle then exercise standing closer or further away depending on your strength. A piece about 6' long will stretch pretty evenly for the full range of an arm swing and I don't think an inner tube is that stretchy.

vickster

Legendary Member
I used a shoulder pulley a lot when rehabbing after my two ops to get range back. Think it cost about £12 from the hospital

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

There are lots of videos about that on Youtube.

I think I'll pass, thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
Those pulleys are very effective; I've used one at the physio department so have just clicked to order that one, thanks.
Yes, I used after the initial labral tear repair (and maybe before) and then again after the frozen shoulder op (as well as a stretchy band of varying degrees of difficulty attached around a door handle)

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

I've just had another call from the trauma nurse to say they've scheduled me in for surgery tomorrow afternoon.
I'm getting the impression that I was given the wrong advice when I was sent away to let it knit and come back in a week. No matter, it'll be a relief to get this sorted sooner than later.

I forgot to ask if this would involve an overnight stay, anyone know from experience?

Top Bottom