Just back from A&E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ice2911

Über Member
Late to this but wishing you a full recovery and hopefully back on your bike very soon.

PK99

Legendary Member
People need to be careful about recommending particular meds.

I was on Naproxen as anti-inflamatory with Ozamaprol as gut protector a year ago and was hit by a major whole body rash that required heavy duty steroid treatment to clear. Eventually tied to the Ozamaprol. This year they tried me on Naproxen with Ranitidine and I was hit by lower leg edema and general water retention mimicking acute heart failure, loop diuretics and beta blockers solved that one and I pissed out 6 kg of excess fluid over 4 weeks and resting heart rate dropped from 110 to 70 ish. (When fit my RHR was 55)

Naproxen is well know for causing major (as in potentially fatal) stomach bleeds and kidney problems in some patients.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A nasty injury, @glasgowcyclist - I hope it heals well, without surgery or long term problems.

For two weeks after the break I took ibuprofen without food, against the advice. Drank some orange juice and had a huge attack of indigestion so reckoned the ibuprofen was burning a hole in my stomach wall and stopped.

A wise move ...?

Guys - Ibuprofen isn't something to knock back like sweets. It should be for essential use only.

A mate of mine was only minutes from death when he vomited out about 3 or 4 pints of blood from an Ibuprofen-related stomach ulcer which perforated. Fortunately for him, he managed to make a 999 call before he blacked out and an ambulance was only a couple of minutes away when he made the call.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Co-Codemol 30/500 is the very least you need. The low dosage version isn't much better at analgesia than paracetamol. If you can get a prescription for it, I found Tramadol to be excellent at taking away pretty severe pain. It gives you pretty bad constipation within a few days, and it is fairly addictive, so doctors tend not to hand it out like sweets. However, if you are in a position where you are understandably a bit low, opiates cheer you up and knock the pain on the head.
Anyway, don't listen to random internet drugstore cowboys giving you advice, listen to the professionals.:okay:

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Thanks everyone for all the advice and good wishes, it is really appreciated.
You're quite a decent bunch of nobbers really.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
[QUOTE 5551062, member: 9609"]best of luck - hate to hear of any of us coming off.

have you had a look at the camera yet?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's pretty dull though.

However, it does show that my perception of what happened is wrong. The camera is mounted centrally under the bars and gives a view based on the steering angle. It appears that the incident begins not with a sudden movement to the left but to the right. This is brief, followed by a combined (over)correction to the left accompanied by a handful of front brake. This pitches me up and over to land on my left shoulder.

I don't know what caused the twitch to the right, I'm still guessing it was a lose stone or similar. Definitely not ice (@Pat "5mph" ) as the street had full sun and it was dry.

So annoyed with myself for not stopping to fix that zip instead of trying to do it on the move.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
For pain relief I can recommend Naproxen........ Ask your doctor if it is suitable.
People need to be careful about recommending particular meds.
I was on Naproxen....
Naproxen is well know for causing major (as in potentially fatal) stomach bleeds and kidney problems in some patients.
Which is why I said 'ask your doctor'! I don't believe any of us are pretending to be medical experts, just making suggestions that may be of use.

Globalti

Legendary Member
In addition to avoiding ibuprofen I took zinc tablets and vitamin C as well as, for a short time, calcium with vitamin D. I have no idea whether these helped my plated collar bone to heal but I'd have been kicking myself if I hadn't taken them and it hadn't healed. For the surgeon it was a question of waking up the ends of the bones, which had healed and rounded off, and re-starting the bleeding and formation of the callus so I wanted to give it all the help I could.

A side-benefit of the zinc is that I haven't had a cold in the last six months so I'll carry on with that one.

Top Bottom