Just back from A&E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
As I headed down the hill I could feel my jacket wasn't zipped up fully at the neck so I was doing that while braking with my left hand (front brake on my bike). Then the bars suddenly whipped 90 degrees anti-clockwise and I was launched. I think I may have hit a stone with my front wheel while I had only one hand in control.

My right hand reflexively went out to break my fall but my left hand had a vice-like grip on the bars (wtf?) so my left shoulder went heavily into the road and - snap!

That's what I remember, I will review the bike cameras later to see if they offer anything else.

I couldn't get up for a good five minutes, during which time a couple of cars drove by me. Who ignores a person obviously in trouble? Anyway, a third driver stopped and lifted my bike up, giving it a brief check over. "Yeah, it's fine mate, you're good to go." Erm, I can't get up!
Yes, he was also a cyclist.

Only myself to blame for this one. It's funny, I keep going over it in my head to identify the crucial moment and work out why my left hand didn't come free, as though I can change the outcome. Idiot!
GWS!

Very similar to mine back in October - a broken chain link and the handlebars turned 90 degrees, and over I went. My own fault for lack of maintenance, and being a bit too enthusiastic in my acceleration. In my case not a scratch on the body, as I used the back of my helmeted head to break the fall. Downside has been 4 months so far with post-concussion syndrome... I hope you heal more quickly!

Well I came off the bike this morning on my way to work, straight over the bars and broke my collarbone.

Got a taxi to hospital and was dealt with pretty quickly by the excellent staff. They've decided at this point that it doesn't need surgery and I have to see if it will knit itself. I've an appointment for next Wednesday but should go back sooner if I notice it 'tenting'.

Luckily I was less than a hundred yards from the house so I was able to get the bike back up the hill and into the garage. I haven't given it a proper look yet but I think it's ok, thanks for asking.

I'm rather concerned about how I'll make my loafs at the weekend. Should I let my wife do it under close supervision?
I hope you have a pain free night as possible .

Old jon

Guru
Heal quickly, and aye, it is difficult to do all sorts of stuff. Mine was last May, zero real problems except regaining the mobility the shoulder once had. Kneading dough is good for exercise, after the break has gone back together.

Ouch! Hope all heals quickly and fully, shoulder injuries can be a niggle for a good while after.

But on the plus side I used my shoulder injuries after a crash to justify getting a recumbent trike that I wouldn't have otherwise bought so swings and roundabouts ;-)

PK99

Legendary Member
I had morphine in the waiting room for the injury above. It made me feel worse than the injury itself. Horrendous.

I was also given codeine for recovery. Stopped that too as it messed with my brain - couldn't think straight.

...situation normal then?

classic33

Leg End Member
B]I suggest to my wife than maybe we go to Yorkshire for a weekend. [/B]She had to tie me down and called a priest to perform an exorcism on me. After being slapped around the head for an hour I saw sense.
You should visit sometime.

Top Bottom