Just back from A&E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chewbaker

Regular
As I headed down the hill I could feel my jacket wasn't zipped up fully at the neck so I was doing that while braking with my left hand (front brake on my bike). Then the bars suddenly whipped 90 degrees anti-clockwise and I was launched. I think I may have hit a stone with my front wheel while I had only one hand in control.

My right hand reflexively went out to break my fall but my left hand had a vice-like grip on the bars (wtf?) so my left shoulder went heavily into the road and - snap!

That's what I remember, I will review the bike cameras later to see if they offer anything else.

I couldn't get up for a good five minutes, during which time a couple of cars drove by me. Who ignores a person obviously in trouble? Anyway, a third driver stopped and lifted my bike up, giving it a brief check over. "Yeah, it's fine mate, you're good to go." Erm, I can't get up!
Yes, he was also a cyclist.

Only myself to blame for this one. It's funny, I keep going over it in my head to identify the crucial moment and work out why my left hand didn't come free, as though I can change the outcome. Idiot!

Sorry for your smash, hope you heal well.

I was told recently that if you are holding onto something already, part of the flinch reflex can often just make you grip it tighter...

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I'm told cocodamol is prescription only anyway. I'll call my GP and see what she says.

You can get 8/500mg co-codamol over the counter and also low dose Dihydrocodeine / paracetamol too, this is pharmacist sales only but broken bones should qualify you fine. This will tide you over until you can see a doctor for something stronger

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I was told recently that if you are holding onto something already, part of the flinch reflex can often just make you grip it tighter...

That sounds plausible but I must have had hundreds of offs (nearly all while mountain biking but a few on the road too) and never experienced this grip thing before.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have. You're gripping with one hand, front wheel hits something and the steering whips round. Easy to do.

@glasgowcyclist when you have the fracture clinic follow up next week they MUST take an X ray to determine whether the ends are meeting up. If they don't, you'll have a non-union like I did. Next time I will insist on plating. They are counting on you being one of the lucky 85% who, they say, will heal naturally.

PM me if you want my phone number for a chat. I feel very sympathetic!

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
Get well soon @glasgowcyclist. Having done my best Superman impression over the handlebars almost two years ago and also breaking my left collarbone, I know how you feel. Hopefully your recovery will be as uneventful as mine - everything was fully healed within six weeks and all that remains of my "adventure" is an inability to go as fast downhill as I used to (due to sheer fear), which is probably quite sensible to be honest!

The really strong co-codamol I was prescribed (think it was 30mg codeine per 500mg paracetemol) made me throw up, so I stuck to a combo of paracetemol and ibuprofen. After getting through the first couple of days where it really hurt (although it hurt all over not just my shoulder, because I rolled a few times after landing), those were enough to keep to pain down to just an annoyance rather than any real horrible pain.

The only problem I found was that I couldn't stand or walk for more than an hour at a time - if I tried, my back started to hurt. As soon as I sat down, the pain started to subside and was completely gone in 10 minutes. Which then meant I could manage another hour of standing/walking if needed before it started again. Never really got to the bottom of that one but maybe it was because in the sling, my arm was being held at an awkward angle or an unnatural level and that was causing strain on my back?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oh I also broke two ribs and got a frozen shoulder, which is still frozen 6 months later. As soon as you possibly can, get your arm and shoulder moving to avoid this and to avoid muscle loss. A good physio is very valuable.

chewbaker

Regular
Oh the only thing I will add is I'm just finishing up a period of prescribed co-codamol after being knocked off my bike and tearing my rotator cuff... and they bunged me up like a brick wall.... keep hydrated and keep your fibre uptake up.....

Globalti

Legendary Member
I took three codeine tabs and by day two I was blocked solid. I also had a massive depressed downer for an hour after taking the third so I gave the rest back to the chemist.

For two weeks after the break I took ibuprofen without food, against the advice. Drank some orange juice and had a huge attack of indigestion so reckoned the ibuprofen was burning a hole in my stomach wall and stopped. Paracetamol is a very good drug, cheap if you buy own-brand, not harmful if you don't overdose and effective if taken at regular intervals.

Last edited:

Glasgow44

Veteran
Well I came off the bike this morning on my way to work, straight over the bars and broke my collarbone.

Got a taxi to hospital and was dealt with pretty quickly by the excellent staff. They've decided at this point that it doesn't need surgery and I have to see if it will knit itself. I've an appointment for next Wednesday but should go back sooner if I notice it 'tenting'.

Luckily I was less than a hundred yards from the house so I was able to get the bike back up the hill and into the garage. I haven't given it a proper look yet but I think it's ok, thanks for asking.

I'm rather concerned about how I'll make my loafs at the weekend. Should I let my wife do it under close supervision?

Where in Glasgow did this happen and what hospital did you go to?

Top Bottom