Just because you can.... doesn't mean you should.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sabian92

Über Member
Afternoon CC,

Driving the car this morning on the A557 when the traffic slows down. It's 10 to 9, so prime rush hour time (especially as this road leads towards the M56) and I thought nothing of it, slowed down etc. Traffic then starts to overtake something (I couldn't see as a lorry was in front of me) until I become the first in line behind the thing people were overtaking.

A fully lycra'ed up roadie, in the middle of the inside lane, pootling along at about 18mph. I'm all for riding your bike and all that, don't get me wrong but Jesus, pick your route a bit more carefully than this bloke did. It's essentially a 2 lane motorway and the places that you can get to from it can be reached just as easily on 30mph roads that carry far less traffic. He clearly wasn't going for out and out speed as he was on the hoods, admiring the view. You definitely wouldn't ride on a motorway in the same way so I'm not sure why he chose to do it!

People have been killed previously on this stretch of road doing exactly what he was doing. I hung back and protected him for as long as I could (I was coming off at the next slip road) but I could see the frustration from other drivers. Traffic was bad enough although flowing reasonably quickly so I'm not sure why he thought putting himself in danger by riding on an A road in rush hour was a particularly clever idea.

Just because you're legally allowed to ride somewhere, doesn't mean it's the best idea :wacko:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Afternoon CC,

Driving the car this morning on the A557 when the traffic slows down. It's 10 to 9, so prime rush hour time (especially as this road leads towards the M56) and I thought nothing of it :wacko:

Interesting you mention prime rush hour, with all the assiciated queues of cars, but choose to focus on a lone cyclist as the problem.
One for the car culture thread maybe?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I don't know the road, but I find it sad that he was, as you say "putting himself in danger" when in reality it may be he was actually being thoughtless & obstructive. He may not be from round your way. I'm contemplating a ride down through Wiltshire soon and finding it hard to avoid using the A36 which in parts is as you describe.

Injury or death is not the appropriate punishment for causing a temporary obstruction - and on the road you describe it's hard to understand how a driver would not both see him, and have ample room to safely overtake.

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
He wasn't a problem as in he was causing the traffic, my point was that it's a damn stupid place to ride unless you have a death wish (or a large life insurance policy for your kids and you're skint).

I didn't wish harm to him (I even protected him from other traffic) but he was clearly local. No luggage, expensive road bike, 1 water bottle and no maps etc.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I ride a small part of my commute on a section of dual-carriageway (in my case the road leads to a junction on the M1). It goes the direction I want to go- I turn off at a lane before the M1 to get to work. Most mornings the traffic is stationary, half-terms and fridays it might be moving freely. I don't feel it is any worse safety-wise than reasonable alternative routes (discounting those that involve dismounting and using pedestrian facilities/ multiple road crossings).

So, to be clear he was using up 1 of the 2 lanes and that's still a problem for the car drivers?

jayonabike