Just because you can.... doesn't mean you should.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I'm just kidding, everyone knows its dangerous, not because riding there is dangerous but because some drivers do not know how to drive given a situation like that.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I know what you mean sabian92 and I agree with your point.

I encountered a road like that on my recent ride from Nottingham to Coventry and thought 'Blow that for a game of soldiers'! I had every right to ride down the mega-busy A-road, but given that I could see that the traffic was doing 50+ mph, with vehicles only feet apart, I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and found an alternative!

Steady

Über Member
The way I've witnessed cars overtake cyclists on dual carriage ways I have to say puts me off from ever considering cycling along any no matter how short the section.

I would think a "two Lane" situation would make things incredibly easy and make drivers over take safely with space at 70mph but what I see never inspires confidence.

boydj

Legendary Member
He wasn't a problem as in he was causing the traffic, my point was that it's a damn stupid place to ride unless you have a death wish (or a large life insurance policy for your kids and you're skint).

I didn't wish harm to him (I even protected him from other traffic) but he was clearly local. No luggage, expensive road bike, 1 water bottle and no maps etc.
He could easily have been 30 or 40 miles from home and on unfamiliar roads. From his road position it sounds like he is experienced enough to be aware of the alternative routes if he was local.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I stayed left on an A road once when I should have been in the fast lane to go where I wanted . Was a close call so next time I will be in the fast lane annoying everyone in my lycra .

Acesand8s

Regular
In CO USA that is not really legal as it is impeding the normal flow of traffic, which is not allowed. If obstacles force you to stay out of the shoulder here, and it is rush hour, you can not ride on the road,technically though it is still somewhat allowed.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
He's a nobber ,no amount of sugar coating hides the fact he is one of thousands out there that do not give a monkeys about anyone else around them.
Be it bike , car or truck show some brains, if I took my car down a single track road popular with cyclists and did 5mph there would be more than a few red angry faces.

Anyway , there's the worm chucked in on the hook , whos a biting

Acesand8s

Regular
Whos the nobber ? The op?
He's a nobber ,no amount of sugar coating hides the fact he is one of thousands out there that do not give a monkeys about anyone else around them.
Be it bike , car or truck show some brains, if I took my car down a single track road popular with cyclists and did 5mph there would be more than a few red angry faces.

Anyway , there's the worm chucked in on the hook , whos a biting

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
In CO USA that is not really legal as it is impeding the normal flow of traffic, which is not allowed. If obstacles force you to stay out of the shoulder here, and it is rush hour, you can not ride on the road,technically though it is still somewhat allowed.

In the UK it is unlikely that there is a shoulder wide enough to cycle on if you wanted to. Motorways of course have big wide hard shoulders but we're not allowed on them :rolleyes:

Acesand8s

Regular
Yes and throughout the states there really are different laws and roads are different. However i should add, other routes on less busy streets are almost always open and much faster i have found.
In the UK it is unlikely that there is a shoulder wide enough to cycle on if you wanted to. Motorways of course have big wide hard shoulders but we're not allowed on them :rolleyes:

PaulBrdmn

I assume your talking about the Runcorn side of the bridge? I admit I've ridden on the Weston Point Expressway once when doing a charity ride with a large group and motorcycle outriders first thing on a Saturday morning; even that felt dodgy at best, it's an awful road to cycle on. Moughland Lane/Clifton Rd is a much better option.

Although wasn't the bridge closed this morning? Surprised Halton's expressways weren't at a standstill!

Last edited:
Top Bottom