Just done my first Sportive!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bluebell72

...but knackered.

Thankyou to everyone for their top tips.

My new Ortlieb saddlebag was the business, especially once it started hoying it down with rain.

I was slower than I thought I would be, but then I'm not familiar with the area and the hills were proper hills, the downs were scary - my top speed ever 47.1mph :wacko:

Not much on the flat. I finished, that's all I was bothered about.

Fiona N

Veteran
Congratulations Bluebell :bravo:

Which sportive was it?
(I've probably missed your original thread :blush:)

OP
OP
Bluebell72

Bluebell72

It was a ladies-only in Leeds. http://www.ctcchallengerides.co.uk/CTC_Leeds_womens_only_sportive.php

When I stopped at the feed station, there were a few ladies just leaving, wearing the strip of a triathlon club. One of them said 'I'm going to put my arm warmers on, I'm getting really cold'.

I was sweating like a beast of burden.
donkey1.jpg

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
...but knackered.

My new Ortlieb saddlebag was the business, especially once it started hoying it down with rain.

I was slower than I thought I would be, but then I'm not familiar with the area and the hills were proper hills, the downs were scary - my top speed ever 47.1mph :wacko:

Awesome and very well done. I like the downhill bit, very tasty
thumbsup.png

Garz

Squat Member
The sport needs more female input and I must say a slow trickle of an increase on this years riding I have noticed more women. Well done, but warning you may get hooked!

Chris.IOW

. Well done, but warning you may get hooked!

Oh yes, if the government knew how addictive these things were they would be banned!

Well done on your first one, what's next?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Fantastic well done. My first two MTB marathons were they same. My sole concern was finishing. It's a great feeling though isn't it :smile:
...but knackered.

asterix

Comrade Member
Well done!

I did my first one too this year. In some ways it was a bit of a disaster because I went for the 80 rather than the 100 because of the initial headwind, then I cocked up the bit at the end where you hand in the bit of plastic and there is no record my having even done it! Nearly everybody overtook me anyway it seemed, so what the heck. I aim to do it again next year if the wind has dropped.

OP
OP
Bluebell72

Bluebell72

Thanks for all the congratulations :blush:

Next up it's the Big G 'Grimpeurs de Wolds' in July. It's a longer distance, but I have been round the route twice now, so no nasty surprises - yesterday, I had no idea what to expect.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Well done.

47.1 mile/h? I can't imagine going anything close to that speed without bottling it completely. Above 40 and I'm wondering if I'll ever see my wife again!

Top Bottom