Just got to love the non cyclist mindset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I rode from the office to the pub for Christmas drinks. I was on my second pint by the time those in cars managed to get there.

During winter 2010 the snow came down with a vengeance a workday afternoon. I cycled home on the mtn bike and it took about 15 mins longer than normal on deserted back roads and bridleways. Next morning the office was full of tales of misery of hours stuck in traffic both the previous night and that morning. I was not too smug about it.

God, the snow stories...

Several times after snow colleagues have failed to make it home at all, getting stuck all night or staying with friends after abandoning their cars- often on fairly short journeys.

Never had a problem cycling in, at least twice I've arrived only to be turned away because the site was closed (sometimes they send out the warning texts after I've left)

Got stuck myself once in a car (note: I wasn't driving, and - yes- I should have decided to get the train) in Hungary a few years ago. 24 hours in the car, they sent in tanks! Easy for things to go wrong very quickly where there's drifting snow.

Crankarm

Guru
I`m walking back home from picking up a few bits for tea tonight, and I bumped into one of my neighbours who had been walking her dog, "SO", she said "just tell me, now that you don`t have a car and it`s bitterly cold how you plan to get to work tomorrow?"

My answer "the same way as I always fecking get to work!!"

She looked at me stunned............................

The non-cycling fraternity have no clue, just because it`s cold I obviously have to become lazy. NO!!!!!!!

Perhaps it was because she thought you were a stunning stunt?

Lozz360

Veteran
Today did a walk around a reservoir. There were signs saying absolutely no cycling. It was a track designed for water company service vehicles. It was wide and a good surface. Surface perfect for a fairly level family cycle with no traffic. But no must ban cycling 'cause allowing it would be bad.
Thames Water bans cycling around the local reservoir near me. I’ve assumed the reason is that a sudden gust of wind (not unusual on large reservoir) could blow you into the water which happens to be 40ft deep.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Thames Water bans cycling around the local reservoir near me. I’ve assumed the reason is that a sudden gust of wind (not unusual on large reservoir) could blow you into the water which happens to be 40ft deep.

If it's that dangerous, you'd think they'd build something like, ooh, a fence?
A very disappointing stance by T.W.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
No more likely to be blown in than if walking

Not really true. If you are going any speed, the effect of sidewinds are increased. Try riding a motorbike across the Severn Bridge in high winds and I can assure you it is a lot safer going slow.

That's not to say I agree with the obvious "elf n safety gorn maad" stance being complained about, but you are definitely more at risk of high winds cycling vs walking. Nevertheless banning cycling for the stated reason is still bollock

Mind you I was once (twice actually) flipped over i n strong wind whilst kneeling on the ground leaning on my ice axe, but I'm confident that cycling in such conditions would be a lot worse !

vickster

Legendary Member
Holy thread resurrection!!
Not quite 6 years on :whistle:

ren531

Über Member
Holy thread resurrection!!
Not quite 6 years on :whistle:

Let's keep it going then.
I've had lots of comments over the years about how utterly mad/crazy/insane I am for cycling on through the winter commute, but perversely I've had my most enjoyable and memorable experiences doing this, the more extreme the weather, within reason, the more intense the feeling of achievement.

Jameshow

Veteran
Hard commute to the coffee shop this morning, what with the sun and gentle breeze it's supprising I made it! Struggled not to have a full English!🤣🤣🤣
IMG-20231101-WA0000.jpeg

Tenkaykev

Guru
Not really true. If you are going any speed, the effect of sidewinds are increased. Try riding a motorbike across the Severn Bridge in high winds and I can assure you it is a lot safer going slow.

That's not to say I agree with the obvious "elf n safety gorn maad" stance being complained about, but you are definitely more at risk of high winds cycling vs walking. Nevertheless banning cycling for the stated reason is still bollock

Mind you I was once (twice actually) flipped over i n strong wind whilst kneeling on the ground leaning on my ice axe, but I'm confident that cycling in such conditions would be a lot worse !

Not as impressive / frightening as getting blown over whilst using an ice axe, but I was running up Ballard down on the Purbecks one Sunday morning. The wind was fierce enough to blow my specs off so I was carrying them in one hand. My raised foot was blown into the opposing ankle when the wind gusted. I reached out to grab the top strand of the wire fence for support, only to discover a few seconds later that it was electrified ⚡️

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I am for cycling on through the winter commute, but perversely I've had my most enjoyable and memorable experiences doing this, the more extreme the weather, within reason, the more intense the feeling of achievement.
I agree. Always loved the winter commute once away from suburbia and cycling into woodland, looking up at the stars above, and feeling in 'mild peril' of slipping on ice.

And whenever the weather peeps talk about "the coldest temperature this year", i'm immediately tempted to head out. In Surrey that's -6 by bike and -14 on foot.

Top of Cairngorm at New Year felt a lot colder!

Top Bottom