Just got to love the non cyclist mindset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Scraping is for dangleberries, not windscreens.

snorri

Legendary Member
I no longer commute but when I did I came across all those types of reactions. I only ran a car during the last three years I was commuting but it confused everyone that I had a car but tended to only use it when it was wet.
Reminds me of a work colleague who after buying his first car immediately put his bicycle into layup, only taking it out again on rainy days when he didn't want to get his new car wet:biggrin:.

Siclo

Veteran
[QUOTE 5063906, member: 43827"]I hate scraping ice off the car windows but never have to do it. A kettle full of hot water works wonders. Instantly clear, no cold hands and doesn't frost up again.. People keep telling me it'll crack the glass but I've been doing it for around 40 years with no problems.[/QUOTE]

People who park on the road/cyclepath/pavement and do this should be forced to lie naked in the resulting puddle while it turns to black ice. Really boils my proverbial.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've come across the non-cycling mindset at least a couple of times.

On the way to my static caravan in North Yorkshire I got a bit lost around Stockton.

To keep matters simple, I asked a passer-by for directions only to the next town - Yarm - about 10 or 15 miles away.

After telling me, he looked at my ebike and said with obvious incredulity: "How are you going to get there - on that?"

I didn't tell him I'd done 30 miles already and had another 20 or so to do after Yarm.

Similarly, on the forum York/Humber Bridge 104 mile circuit we were quizzed by a couple of ladies outside our first stop at Tesco in Goole.

The likes of @ColinJ, @Littgull and a couple of the others patiently explained what we were on with, but you could tell the ladies, while not thinking a group of middle aged men and women were all liars, couldn't grasp you could travel 104 miles on a bicycle.

As indeed I didn't, until I got involved with the cycling community on here and locally.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I love a cold, winter ride and am never put off by the idea of feeling cold, but the ice on the way in this morning was nasty. Had to keep getting off and walking. So I guess there will now be days when I have to give up on my normal route and make a choice between riding the horrible main roads that I normally avoid like the plague or taking the car.

Studded tyres, Andy, studded tyres is what you need.

They're grrrreat, although they sound like Rice Crispies rather than Frosties.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I assumed they all had a waiver allowing them to scrape only a single paperback book sized viewing hole through which to fulfil their tank driver fantasies.

When I had company cars there used to be a kind of newsletter full of valid but somewhat patronisng advice etc, but there was the lovely phrase in their winter driving tips "don't drive off like a tank commander"

Sandra6

Veteran
The guys at my new workplace were generally quite impressed that I cycle. I had the usual "what will you do if it rains/snows?" and I replied "get wet/cold" but then it rained and I got mr6 to drive, and it hasn't snowed but it's been very cold so I caught the bus :blush:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
When I had company cars there used to be a kind of newsletter full of valid but somewhat patronisng advice etc, but there was the lovely phrase in their winter driving tips "don't drive off like a tank commander"

Again a bit off-topic, but this reminds me of a court case involving a policeman accused of causing the death by his careless driving of a member of the public while he was on the way to an incident.

As part of the defence muddying the waters tactics, we spent hours going through the ins and outs of the Cleveland Police driving manual.

One phrase, however, I thought was worth remembering for all drivers.

'Drive to arrive.'

Studded tyres, Andy, studded tyres is what you need.

Yes, I've looked into them previously but they seem to come no thinner than 35mm - no good for my commuter unless I take the mudguards off which, given the state of the paths this time of year and the efforts I went to to fit them, ain't going to happen!

Once I've had chance to do some work on my currently-out-of-action CX in the new year I'll have a look at fitting a pair to that.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yes, I've looked into them previously but they seem to come no thinner than 35mm - no good for my commuter unless I take the mudguards off which, given the state of the paths this time of year and the efforts I went to to fit them, ain't going to happen!

Once I've had chance to do some work on my currently-out-of-action CX in the new year I'll have a look at fitting a pair to that.

You are wise to do the homework.

First pair of studded tyres I bought fouled the rear mudguard badly, which would have been a nuisance to take off even if I wanted to because the rear dynamo light cable conduit was stuck to the underside of the 'guard.

Fortunately, my brother - who you met at Humber Bridge - was on the lookout for a pair, so he took the tyres off me.

He had some serviceable spare wheels after an upgrade, so he bought another cassette to enable him to have the studded tyres permanently mounted and ready to go.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I rode from the office to the pub for Christmas drinks. I was on my second pint by the time those in cars managed to get there.

During winter 2010 the snow came down with a vengeance a workday afternoon. I cycled home on the mtn bike and it took about 15 mins longer than normal on deserted back roads and bridleways. Next morning the office was full of tales of misery of hours stuck in traffic both the previous night and that morning. I was not too smug about it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Schwalbe winters (not marathon winter) come in a 30-622 now.

I'm still dithering about getting some for the folding bike (20" decimal tyres), but in that size they'd cost more than half as much as the bike at the moment. Maybe someone will discount them in the spring.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Schwalbe winters (not marathon winter) come in a 30-622 now.

I'm still dithering about getting some for the folding bike (20" decimal tyres), but in that size they'd cost more than half as much as the bike at the moment. Maybe someone will discount them in the spring.
30mm Schwalbe Winters just about fit under the guards on my Croix de Fer.

Top Bottom