Just got to love the non cyclist mindset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I have to force myself out in the cold. 3degrees yesterday for my 25 miler. I'm never sure how healthy it is to be doing that, but must admit, it is the ice that bothers me and the low sun that drivers use as an excuse for ploughing into you. Been off a few times on black ice. Hurts.

D

Deleted member 1258

I only commute a paltry 25 miles daily, but I get similar reactions; 'You have a car , but you CHOOSE to cycle in this weather - ? ! :eek: '

Yes - ! :thumbsup: :wahhey:

I no longer commute but when I did I came across all those types of reactions. I only ran a car during the last three years I was commuting but it confused everyone that I had a car but tended to only use it when it was wet.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Freezing rain develops when falling snow encounters a layer of warm air aloft, typically around the 800 mbar (800 hPa) level, causing the snow to melt and become rain. As the rain continues to fall, it passes through a layer of subfreezing air just above the surface and cools to a temperature below freezing (0 °C or 32 °F). If this layer of subfreezing air is sufficiently deep, the raindrops may have time to freeze into ice pellets (sleet) before reaching the ground. However, if the subfreezing layer of air at the surface is very shallow, the rain drops falling through it will not have time to freeze and they will hit the ground as supercooled rain. When these supercooled drops make contact with the ground, power lines, tree branches, aircraft, or anything else below 0 °C (32 °F), a portion of the drops instantly freezes, forming a thin film of ice, hence freezing rain.[4][5]
I think I fell asleep at "develops"

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Just no educating some people, he did very well.
I dont need to be educated. When I lay in bed and the trees are rustling and the rain and sleet is bouncing off the windows. I think it is going to be awful outside. In actual fact, once you are out it is never as bad as you thought it was going to be. ^_^

But I am sure Screenmans lesson was very interesting if you like the ins and outs of weather patterns. I just ride through it. knowing about it doesnt help. ^_^

screenman

Legendary Member
We get what we are given, I shall be out in it later and come back with a smile.

Bodhbh

Guru
To be fair, I cried off this moring and took the bus - for the first time this year. Roads were wet when I looked out the window and frost on the roofs. And in the end I did spot some ice on the way in.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
To be fair, I cried off this moring and took the bus - for the first time this year. Roads were wet when I looked out the window and frost on the roofs. And in the end I did spot some ice on the way in.
I cried off last night, second night shift so only a few hours sleep, unlit lanes with knobbers driving like zombies and an injury that hurt every pedal stroke .

spen666

Legendary Member
@cyberknight , and @Bodhbh you should be banned from this place. its a disgrace to call yourselves cyclists and be posting on cyclechat when you are nothing but frauds

PS I may have my tongue in my cheek as I type this

Top Bottom