1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just had a very dangerous overtake

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Jacomus-rides-Gen, 31 Jan 2008.

1. Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen New Member

A van pused past me, hitting me, and ran a red light - I have this on film and am about to take it to the police. First though I wanted to ask where I can check his numberplate. I've looked around on the dvla website but can't find anything.

I'm fine, good bike handling skills kept me upright, which makes the video a little less dramatic, but he did touch me. I'll youtube the video once I've asked the Police if it is ok to do it.

2. magnatom

magnatom Guest

Allegedly this web site can help. But I didn't tell you :sad:

http://www.askmid.com/

3. magnatom

magnatom Guest

Sorry I should also have said;

I hope your ok!

Sorry to hear about that Jacomus. Is it easy to make out on the video? Post it up when you get a chance and good luck with the police!

4. Jacomus-rides-Gen

Thanks magnatom, I'm ok. I stayed on, but a less experienced cyclist would have crashed, and I'm pretty sure that had I not been on my mtb due to the foul weather, I would have not been able to keep control.

It looks very dangerous in the video, but you can't detect the actual contact, but at least his numberplate is clear as day, and so is the fact that he charged a red light.

5. magnatom

magnatom Guest

Lets hope the police take some notice.

6. Maz

Maz Guru

Sorry to hear about your collision, jacomus. Do you think he RLJ'd cos he knew he hit you?

I used this webpage before to get parts for my car. I entered my own reg and it was spot on in terms of make model engine size etc.

http://www.1stchoice.co.uk/

7. Jacomus-rides-Gen

No, he hit me in the process of rljing, I signalled and changed lanes into the RH-turn lane, and AFTER I had moved he overtook me, pushed me out of the way and ran the red light.

8. Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke Jaffa Cake monster

self-gratification artist.

Hope they nail his nads to a post and then fasten the post to a lorry which is RLJing (i.e. at speed).

Glad to hear you're okay JRG.

9. Cab

Cab New Member

Good you got out of that intact!

Let us know what plod do about this.

10. Good god, that sounded bad. I hope the police can do something about this one. PS I'm glad you're ok.

11. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

having quite a spell aintcha Jaco?

12. Jacomus-rides-Gen

The drivers round these parts would rather see you dead than wait for 5 seconds.

Edit: By the way, the camera is mounted on the right fork leg, and yes, he did touch me. you can see the bump in the slow mo, happens about half way down the side of the van.

13. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

Hi Jacomus, glad you are ok. What a muppet, what did the fuzz say ?

14. Jacomus-rides-Gen

Well, its a one size fits all dangerous driving complaint form, that they will cast an eye over and then chuck in the bin if my previous experience is anything to go by. Though they do have the CD with the incident on, so that may help a little, maybe. I'll probably be on here in a couple of weeks moaning vociferously about how they have once again done bugger all to protect the rights and safety of vulnerable road users.

15. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

Have you removed the vid Jac?