Just ordered a new lightweight Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
I have had my Brompton for about 7 years and bought it on a whim. They aren't common in the Western US and the odd little shop I found it in didn't have any Ti Bromptons. I wish I had bought the light model but so far I am content with my fairly heavy one. I think an IGH, my leather saddle and fenders would make a lightweight one weigh about the same as a stripped S one speed with the original grips and saddle. In any case, I don't consider it any more frivolous than my other bikes since I've found it a great commuter, surprisingly good for cargo, due to the front luggage block, and generally a lot of fun to ride. The only thing it isn't good for is riding in mud or on ice or snow.

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Phoned up my LBS yesterday to ascertain progress on my purchase and apparently their information from Brompton is it's 'In Production'. :okay:

(Expected delivery date to the shop is 17th Marc - they've got some tan-wall tyres in for me - and I'm rather excited!)

Tenkaykev

Guru
I see that the CHPT3 has a "lightweight" front wheel which saves 115 grammes on the standard wheel.

I've read that a rough rule of thumb is to allow £1 per gramme of weight saved if you're swapping out components for titanium.

EDIT:

That got me thinking and I've just looked on the Brilliant Bikes website. The Schwalbe AV4 inner tube is 20 grammes lighter than the standard ones that Brompton uses.

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
I got the Brompton dynamo wheel kit from them and they swapped out the kit front light (which I didn't need), for a 44 tooth chainring.

The Brompton maintenance videos on their YouTube channel are excellent.
I've suggested to them that a Brompton specific workshop might well prove popular.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I've read that a rough rule of thumb is to allow £1 per gramme of weight saved if you're swapping out components for titanium.
(...)
The Schwalbe AV4 inner tube is 20 grammes lighter than the standard ones that Brompton uses.
If you want a lighter tube you should look here: https://www.tubolito.com/ Claimed weight for the Brompton version (at the bottom of the product listing range) is just 34g - way lighter than the competition. The price is steep, but still way under £1 per gramme of weight saved. :laugh: It seems however not yet to be available - at least it is not listed in the manufacturer's own shop.

12boy

Guru
I see that the CHPT3 has a "lightweight" front wheel which saves 115 grammes on the standard wheel.

That got me thinking and I've just looked on the Brilliant Bikes website. The Schwalbe AV4 inner tube is 20 grammes lighter than the standard ones that Brompton uses.

I've read somewhere that in terms of acceleration and hill climbing an ounce on the rim is equal to a pound on the frame.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I visited Brilliant Bikes on Saturday to collect a ton of stuff for my Brompton project.

Proper bike shop, nice knowledgeable staff and really competitive prices without the silly eBay or Amazon “brompton” tax.
In Chobham? I bit off piste ain’t ya?

Gunk

Guru
In Chobham? I bit off piste ain’t ya?

My mate lives nearby

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I can do irony! My bike has arrived! Just in time for a nation-wide clamp-down on unnecessary journeys ... (But it will be tested ^_^)

photo 1 (1).JPG

Top Bottom