Just ordered a new lightweight Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
In a complete contrast to my normal impulse buying (especially any time concerned with cycling), I have taken well over two years to decide how to spend a legacy I received from my late father-in-law. I considered putting together a Fixe, flirted with the idea of a mountain-bike, but in the end have up-graded components on two of my favourite bikes and, after getting my senior railcard and therefore increasing my use of trains, I have decided on a folder. I couldn't seem to get a CPT 3, but the one I have put together (with assistance of my LBS), is more personal and I believe I'll be more than happy. As I suspect my father-in-law would have been. Photo to follow when I get my hands on it. :becool:

Rocky

Hello decadence
Great choice!! I hope you have many happy miles of travel. Please do post some pictures when it arrives.

Mrs M

Guru
In a complete contrast to my normal impulse buying (especially any time concerned with cycling), I have taken well over two years to decide how to spend a legacy I received from my late father-in-law. I considered putting together a Fixe, flirted with the idea of a mountain-bike, but in the end have up-graded components on two of my favourite bikes and, after getting my senior railcard and therefore increasing my use of trains, I have decided on a folder. I couldn't seem to get a CPT 3, but the one I have put together (with assistance of my LBS), is more personal and I believe I'll be more than happy. As I suspect my father-in-law would have been. Photo to follow when I get my hands on it. :becool:
Good use of legacy, hope you enjoy it :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have the Brompton 9 Streets. I took the rack off to save weight. It was a waste of time and made no difference in performance. I have put the rack back on.

I have ridden a lot this month and am hoping to get to 1000km by the end of it. I have lost 2.9kg and the bike goes a lot faster.

I wonder what it would cost to lose 2.9kg off a Brompton. 😁

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Titanium forks and rear triangle. Looks nice and saves a few grams in weight.

Titanium mudguard stays, don't forget those, and an alloy headset.

Overall weight saving of about a kilo over a standard gas pipe version.

Is this worth having?

Doubt it makes much difference on the road, but I imagine you could feel it when lifting/carrying the folded bike.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I have the Brompton 9 Streets. I took the rack off to save weight. It was a waste of time and made no difference in performance. I have put the rack back on.

I have ridden a lot this month and am hoping to get to 1000km by the end of it. I have lost 2.9kg and the bike goes a lot faster.

I wonder what it would cost to lose 2.9kg off a Brompton. 😁
Well done on the weight loss. I agree about the performance aspects - don’t expect the titanium bike to go faster. The main advantage is that it’ll be lighter to carry around. Brommies can be a tad heavy, particularly for us old decrepit pensioners 😂

Edit: Paley got there before me :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Well done on the weight loss. I agree about the performance aspects - don’t expect the titanium bike to go faster. The main advantage is that it’ll be lighter to carry around. Brommies can be a tad heavy, particularly for us old decrepit pensioners 😂

Edit: Paley got there before me :smile:
You will need to get some Easywheels on it.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If you ride in all weathers, the steel rear triangles tend to rust out after 10 years or so. A titanium one avoids this. Of course, you could just squirt Waxoyl down the open tubes!

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
For the sake of clarity, I am aware that a reduction in my beer belly will be cheaper to obtain, and that there's probably going to be negligible riding difference to a standard bike, but as my father-in-law once flew back to Ipswich to do loop-the-loops in his Harvard above his parent's house on his birthday, rather the triangulation training course he was supposed to be doing, I kind of think he'd approve of the frivolousness of it all. :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
For the sake of clarity, I am aware that a reduction in my beer belly will be cheaper to obtain, and that there's probably going to be negligible riding difference to a standard bike, but as my father-in-law once flew back to Ipswich to do loop-the-loops in his Harvard above his parent's house on his birthday, rather the triangulation training course he was supposed to be doing, I kind of think he'd approve of the frivolousness of it all. :smile:

I wondered about the cost of your frivolity.

Seems to me titanium Bromptons are not so much more expensive than they once were.

A decent spec standard steel is about £1,200, and a similar bike with titanium bits is about £1,800.

I was expecting the difference to be greater.

https://www.brompton.com/bikes/bikes-in-stock

Top Bottom