Just ordered a new lightweight Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I went for a shake-down ride/trip on the train today. (Could have gotten on for free - the conductor was self-isolating in his cab, as instructed.) I missed the opportunity to take a photo of a large herd of deer (about fifty of the devils) so thought you all might be interested in a) how much fun I had riding the new bike and b) how childishly pleased I was at taking this pic.

photo 1 (1).JPG

Gunk

Guru
I've been extremely lucky on that front - the seat post is exactly the right height for me when it's fully extended. Made for me!

Me too, they seem to be built for a 5’8” male with a 30” inside leg.

Just waiting for the seat stem sleeve to arrive so mine will always raise to the correct height

Rocky

Hello decadence
Me too, they seem to be built for a 5’8” male with a 30” inside leg.

Just waiting for the seat stem sleeve to arrive so mine will always raise to the correct height
I’m 6’ and have 33” inside leg and the extended seat post fits perfectly and always raises to the correct height too.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Lovely looking bike, the tan walls really set it off 👌
Edit:
What's the white gubbins on the rear triangle?

The white gubbins on the rear triangle is transit packaging so should be taken off, with the usual rider that's it's your bike to set up and ride as you like.

Agree about the tan walls.

My local Brompton dealer was trying to get some for an existing Brompton owner, but it seems they are not available separately from Schwalbe at the moment.

That may change.

Rocky

Hello decadence
The white gubbins on the rear triangle is transit packaging so should be taken off, with the usual rider that's it's your bike to set up and ride as you like.

Agree about the tan walls.

My local Brompton dealer was trying to get some for an existing Brompton owner, but it seems they are not available separately from Schwalbe at the moment.

That may change.
Brompton had them for sale on their website a while ago. I’ll have a look and see if they’ve still got stock.

Edit: yes it appears they are still in stock £40 for one Racer.

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Brilliant Bikes are showing them in stock
( I got mine direct from Brompton using the 20% discount code that you get when you ( or someone you know) has purchased something direct )

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Brompton had them for sale on their website a while ago. I’ll have a look and see if they’ve still got stock.

Edit: yes it appears they are still in stock £40 for one Racer.

Cheers, it was the shop's owner who was looking for the tyres.

His computing skills are not the best.

The info also gives me something else to add to my dream Brommie.

I'm sticking with all steel, but that will push the price past £1,300.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Not a moan, just a quibble. The engineering looks fantastic, but I must question the signing off from Brompton. (And, unless you know otherwise about how a bike turns up for sale, I absolve my LBS from any responsibility for this.) So far I have had to adjust to handlebars so that they're actually steering in the correct direction; tightened the seat post clamp because the seat tilted forward during the first major ride; and trued up the front wheel because even as I left the shop it had a 'twist' reminiscent of a cheap job from a discount shop for muppets who think £150 is a great price for a bike. Nevertheless, I've riding it like a ten year old, grinning at everyone!

Rocky

Hello decadence
Not a moan, just a quibble. The engineering looks fantastic, but I must question the signing off from Brompton. (And, unless you know otherwise about how a bike turns up for sale, I absolve my LBS from any responsibility for this.) So far I have had to adjust to handlebars so that they're actually steering in the correct direction; tightened the seat post clamp because the seat tilted forward during the first major ride; and trued up the front wheel because even as I left the shop it had a 'twist' reminiscent of a cheap job from a discount shop for muppets who think £150 is a great price for a bike. Nevertheless, I've riding it like a ten year old, grinning at everyone!
I got mine from Warlands in Oxford. I had several little niggles after the first ride - handlebars not straight etc. They were really good - fixed everything (as they should do) on the spot. I know I could have sorted everything myself but having paid top dollar you don’t expect to have to sort things. I have nothing but praise for the Warlands guys.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My local Brompton dealer told me most Bromptons turn up pretty much ready to ride.

Of course some don't, but the fact most do leads the bike shop into not paying as much attention to pre delivery checks on a Brompton as they would on another bike.

Which is no excuse, so it's disappointing to hear the last two Brompton buyers on this thread had several niggles with their bike.

Top Bottom