Just out of curiosity...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

61 years young, with a chest full of medical hardware, 5"6', commuting 13 miles a day 4-5 days a week, longer Sunday rides 2 or 3 Sundays a month, most Sunday rides are between 50 and 70 miles, most on my own but some as part of a Club Ride, I'd be under 4 hours for 60 miles.

Cyclist33

I don't know where that digit went!!!

Entering your second childhood already?!

snorri

Legendary Member
I did a 50 in 3 hours 20 minutes in mid-September so I suppose around a 15mph average. .......I've no idea how people manage to record such sustained average speeds .
Perhaps you are unaware of the CycleChat correction factor.:smile:
When your post count on CC exceeds 2000 posts, you will be entititled to claim you covered that 50 miles in 2 hours 50mins.:thumbsup:

snorri

Legendary Member
My legs were knackered after my 41 miles and all my energy was spent.
...but did you enjoy these 41 miles? That's the important point, not how your performance compares with some young whippet.
If you really feel a need to record details, then just compare current figures with your own past performance over the same route in similar weather conditions. There are so many variables that I feel there is little to be gained in taking too seriously the performance reports of anonymous folk on a cycling forum.
Anyway, a 41 mile cycle trip is way more than the average Brit would be prepared to contemplate.:smile:
Keep up the effort!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
..you guys who do rides of 60 miles plus, how old are you, how long does it take you , do you do it solo and do you live in Holland?
My legs were knackered after my 41 miles and all my energy was spent. I envy you for your stamina and energy.
Age is only really relevant if you are racing or haven't exercised for many years. There is no reason why you can't do long rides at reasonable speeds well into your 70s or even 80s (and beyond) if your health is good. A Scottish relative of mine was still riding his old bicycle about until well into his 80s. The only reason that he stopped was that his sense of balance started to go and he was making a habit of falling off into ditches! :thumbsup:

If you are knackered and spent after 41 miles then you are not eating and drinking properly. I have trashed myself in less than 41 hilly miles on several occasions when I have not eaten or drunk enough - classic example - but I have ridden 200+ kms (125+ miles) many times and felt fine when I was more careful with my food and drink intake.

My speeds on rides of 40+ miles have depended on my fitness, the hilliness of the route, the weather conditions, which bike I was riding, how much effort I felt like making and who I was riding with, but would be in the range 6 - 18 mph, occasionally 20+ mph in a hard-working group of strong riders.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
About two years ago, I attended a party for a chap that was celebrating his 100th birthday. He was still living in his own home, mostly looking after himself, but what amazed me the most about him was that twice a week he still cycled down the pub for a pint! I dont know how far it was, but even so, just getting your leg over a saddle at 100 years old is a fine achievement I think.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
My average speed on longer rides is about 12-13mph (rolling). On tour it can be under 9mph with the luggage. I'm 29 and live in Cumbria (though a lot of my long rides are in Scotland or at audaxes all over the country).

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
If you are knackered and spent after 41 miles then you are not eating and drinking properly. I have trashed myself in less than 41 hilly miles on several occasions when I have not eaten or drunk enough - classic example - but I have ridden 200+ kms (125+ miles) many times and felt fine when I was more careful with my food and drink intake.

My speeds on rides of 40+ miles have depended on my fitness, the hilliness of the route, the weather conditions, which bike I was riding, how much effort I felt like making and who I was riding with, but would be in the range 6 - 18 mph, occasionally 20+ mph in a hard-working group of strong riders.

I ate some thing before I set out ( can't remember what now) and always carry two bottles of liquids with me which I drunk along the way. I also had a Mars bar half way through the ride. My average speed was between 12 and 13mph. So I guess it wasn't that bad after all.:thumbsup:

Steve Saunders

32, took up cycling 5 months ago. 62 mile route with about 3500-4000ft of climbing takes between 3.5-4 hours depending on what the wind is like at it's almost an out-back route rather than a circular one. Always try to average around 17mph on this route now.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm 56 and can tell you with certainty that a fairly hilly 68 miles takes me 3 hours 58 if I get a move on and suck a few wheels. However i do need fuel in the form of SIS powder and plenty of water.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I've not gone more than 58 miles, although I dont think it would be a problem, but I doubt Id be anywhere near the speed of some people on here, probably more like 4 1/2 hours.

I find the main thing for me is munching sugary sweets to avoid running out of energy... mmm Jelly Worms :hungry:

Top Bottom