Just out of curiosity...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
..you guys who do rides of 60 miles plus, how old are you, how long does it take you , do you do it solo and do you live in Holland?
My legs were knackered after my 41 miles and all my energy was spent. I envy you for your stamina and energy.

on the road

Über Member
I'm 47 and would expect to do 60 miles in about 3.5 hours riding from Liverpool to wherever, on my own and I don't have a cafe stop.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I am coming up to 49. I am not particularly fit and live in Norfolk so not a hilly area ( although it isn't as flat as you think when out on a bike) I don't cycle at a fast pace and don't particularly want to. I can cycle 100 in a day and would expect to average about 14 mph over this distance......but that excludes numerous coffee and cake stops!

Drago

Legendary Member
Iddo
..you guys who do rides of 60 miles plus, how old are you, how long does it take you , do you do it solo and do you live in Holland?
My legs were knackered after my 41 miles and all my energy was spent. I envy you for your stamina and energy.
i don't often do rides that long these days, by there've been a couple this year. I could happily jump on the bike now and do that distance, it's not that far. I'm knocking on the door of 44.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
37yrs old, and I avg about 18.5-19mph normally. It's quite lumpy round me, so a typical 60mile ride would include about 3000-4000ft of climbing.

Fastest avg I've managed was on a 90mile sportive, which was reasonably flat (only 2000ft over the 90miles), where I averaged 22mph.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I'm 55 in a minute, and I an do 60 miles in 3.5 if I don't stop for pies. I usually seek out a couple of hills to get the heart pumping.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i havent done a 60+ miler for ages now! just working back up to long ish rides. longest recently was a 40 miler with a break in the middle for work, in about 2 3/4 hours at 16 ish MPH did have 3000 + foot of climbing, im 26 but currently 16 1/2 stone but really enjoy climbing :wacko:

will be doing a 36 miler (one way) soon

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

Time taken: a bit over 3 hours i.e. average speeds of 18-19mph (on a flattish route), bit slower (15-17mph) on a proper hilly route (750-1000ft climbing per 10 miles for example).

Solo/Group: Solo or in a group speeds remain in a similar bracket, probably toward the slower end rather than the faster of the above figures, but usually not a whole lot of difference. If it was a chaingang, rather than a normal club ride, I would expect the average to exceed the above.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
I'm 41. I go for long cycle rides every year and regularly do more than 60 miles a day during these trips. I commute to work by bike, which is a just under 40 mile return journey. I hardly use the car, and prefer cycling any time. I even do the week's shopping by bike - I make use of those Ortliebs that carry all my stuff in the summer as volumious shopping bags. Folks round here think I'm mad - but while they're queing in their cars to get onto the main road and then looking around for a parking space, I've already done half my shop!

RAYMOND

Just to throw in another angle,are the 60miles plus brigade taller guys? therefore bigger bikes?
Its just that when i see a tall guy on a bigger framed bike they just seem to go faster than me with little effort,they don't seem to be peddling any faster than me.

on the road

Über Member
Just to throw in another angle,are the 60miles plus brigade taller guys? therefore bigger bikes?
Its just that when i see a tall guy on a bigger framed bike they just seem to go faster than me with little effort,they don't seem to be peddling any faster than me.
I'm 5' 6, so my bike's a small/medium bike, but I know how you feel, I often see taller blokes wizz past me, even on steep hills :ohmy:

Top Bottom