Just out of curiosity...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy500

I'm 50 and this year have completed the Fred Whitton (112 miles) in 7hrs 26mins, Wiggle Dragon Ride (128 miles) in 7hrs 34mins, Dartmoor Classic (113 miles) in 6 hrs 23 mins, Rutland Cycle (can't remember distance, but over 100 miles, or time) Leicester Super Tour 120 something miles, Coast to Coast over 170 miles, Etape Cymru 92 miles in 5 hrs 21mins, and numerous other 100 mile rides usually at least one a week.

50 and post cardiac issues and stent in february. overweight ar 13st 2lb and my fastest 60 was 3:17 - Great North Bike Ride.
My slowest was much longer as there's a great cafe in Corbridge and the bacon sarnie a are just brilliant... Then there's the cake shop opposite.

Longest single was Newcastle to Hawes 87 miles and a bitch from Piercebridge to Hawes.

I sometimes find my 5 mile commute harder than a Sunday morning 40 miler!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
48 here, for 60 miles plus I would be looking at a moving average of 17 ish depending on terrain

Davidc

Guru
Like numbnuts I can do 60 miles without a problem, but take around 5 to 6 hours to do it (depending on terrain). he's 9 months and 4 days older than me though. I haven't done a 60 mile ride for a while but will when I get the opportunity.

If not before I'll need to get some 70+ rides in before next summer to get me ready for two organised(ish) rides I'll be doing, 56 miles and very hilly and 105 miles and hilly. I'll expect to take about 7 hours on the first and 11 to 12 on the second (including stops).

I was faster before heart problems and the subsequent drugs took their toll. As has already been said, you see more of the countryside when you go slower.

carolonabike

I do 60 miles in around 4.5 hours, I did the Northern Cyclone (67 miles) in just over 5 hours this year. I'm not fat, not particularly old (52) but I am short, (then again so is Emma Pooley so that's no excuse) :laugh: . I suppose I'm just not in a hurry, my average is 13 - 14 mph. It's also fairly lumpy in Northumberland and Durham.

I've just noticed I put my age down as 52. What was I thinking! It's not my birthday until November. It must be an age thing ^_^

hoopdriver

Guru
54 years old. Sixty miles takes about three and a half hours on my favourite hilly hilly course in Sussex. I don't stop, but don't bust a gut either, just a nice pleasant ride.

Hip Priest

Veteran

Can comfortably do a 60 miler at 15-16mph, but recently did one at 18mph, which was err....less comfortable.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
42 and regularly do a 60-mile hilly Saturday am ride in 3 1/2 hours. There's a cafe stop in it though, although it's usually just because it's en route.

Cyclist33

Looks like I'm the slowest :sad:

I doubt that!

In August I was doing 70s in about 6 hours door-to-door, owing to my propensity for taking photos and my total lack of navigational confidence I do stop a lot and at the time had no speedometer so no idea on actual cycling time. I did a 50 in 3 hours 20 minutes in mid-September so I suppose around a 15mph average. With all the traffic lights that I don't red-light-jump, I've no idea how people manage to record such sustained average speeds - I always find that by the time I've gone through a few towns my average has dropped dramatically.

I cycle on my own, and don't live in Holland but on the other hand Cheshire isn't particularly hilly.

Trust me the stamina doesn't take that long to accumulate, it's a mental thing as much as anything else.

Top Bottom