Just pay that bit extra!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AWG

My post here is dedicated to those who "just want a bike" and may be tempted to look at Halfords cheapest stock or Argos, Tescos or similar.

I have three Halfords bikes in my garage, two Apollo and one Gemini. We also have a Raleigh MTB and a Claud Butler Crossover/Hybrid.

The Gemini is a dated obviously quite hideous piece of junk that is unpleasant to ride and is as heavy as a sack of coal, I think it was about £60 years ago. But if ever we have visitors who need a bike or we need a bike on a winter trainer machine then it's ok.

One Apollo - a Men's HC26 hardtail 20 ins MTB at £117 was a fair bit of kit for the price. A very comfortable saddle and quite a nice 18 gear MTB on the surface. After just under 400 miles the problems have started compounding, the worst being the disintegration of the rear outer sprocket. So now it's a 15 gear MTB! The tyres are made out of sponge cake and the quality of components I'd rate alongside a set of Lidl knives and forks!

The other Apollo is a Ladies MTB - the XC26'S'. In fact a much higher quality product with Shimano Tourney 21 speed, excellent tyres, amazingly comfy ride for female use (hardtail). This has not shown any problems over approximately 400 miles. Total cost on special offer £179. I have to say though that my wife never stands on the pedals and rides like a 1950s Margaret Rutherford movie (although thankfully much slimmer than the late Ms Rutherford!)

The Raleigh is an Explore Men's MTB (rigid 20 ins) and although not used that often has proven faultless to date (purchased around 2006 for £120 special offer). It's a bit of a boneshaker though and the original Raleigh saddle must have been designed with an act of contrition for ones sins in mind!

I recently purchased a Claud Butler 22 ins Classic 21 gear hybrid bike. The one that comes with mudguards, carry rack etc. Total £215 delivered. Still a cheap bike but a whole world away from supermarket and cheaper Halfords stuff. Quality of finish and component parts so much better. The ingenuity of handlebar adjustments and perfect gearchanges so impressive! Although a rigid bike with no suspension it is a delight to ride for anyone wanting to enjoy the experience of "getting there" at a leisurely pace.

So whilst this is of no interest to "serious" cyclists here, - those who seek perfection and are maybe totally absorbed into the wonderful world of cycling, what I am saying to anyone who comes into this Forum just "looking for a bike" for health reasons, commuting or days down the local cycle trail, then just spend that bit extra because I've found the difference between a £100 quid bargain and something at around £200 to be absolutely huge.

Regards

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Good point well made. Buy cheap, buy twice as the old phrase goes

ASC1951

Guru
AWG said:
just spend that bit extra because I've found the difference between a £100 quid bargain and something at around £200 to be absolutely huge.
When you take out the cost of packaging and shipping, which are much the same for every bike, you are probably paying three or four times as much for the actual components.

I've got a (green) Gemini that I "inherited" * from my next door neighbour sitting in my garage - I'm still trying to decide what to do with it. :wacko: Pass it on to a friend that I don't want to stay friends with I guess .. :evil:

* she's alive, so it's not a true inheritance but it seems that an acquantance of hers left it in her garage years ago and "forgot" about it. Wonder why .. ;)

Ruby

I used to have a Giant hybrid bike, lovely thing (cost £250 in 1992!) but it sat it my barn for a few years since we moved here and I thought I wasn't going to use it again so sold it to a friend. Then decided I actually DID want to take up cycling again because we live in such a beautiful part of the country so I bought a cheap Apollo ladies' MTB as our country lanes are quite pot-holey and there are often good off-road opportunities. The bike is actually quite a nice one but I soon realised it wasn't going to offer much in the way of speed on the roads and I just couldn't get comfortable on it - so ended up buying a Marin Kentfield which I love and is way faster (and more comfortable) than the MTB. It cost more than double the Apollo but IMO is worth every penny!

simon_brooke

AWG said:
I recently purchased a Claud Butler 22 ins Classic 21 gear hybrid bike. The one that comes with mudguards, carry rack etc. Total £215 delivered. Still a cheap bike but a whole world away from supermarket and cheaper Halfords stuff. Quality of finish and component parts so much better. The ingenuity of handlebar adjustments and perfect gearchanges so impressive! Although a rigid bike with no suspension it is a delight to ride for anyone wanting to enjoy the experience of "getting there" at a leisurely pace.

So whilst this is of no interest to "serious" cyclists here, - those who seek perfection and are maybe totally absorbed into the wonderful world of cycling, what I am saying to anyone who comes into this Forum just "looking for a bike" for health reasons, commuting or days down the local cycle trail, then just spend that bit extra because I've found the difference between a £100 quid bargain and something at around £200 to be absolutely huge.

I'm always impressed by the quality of the Claud Butler Classic. It's not just better than anything cheaper, it's also better than a lot of things considerably more expensive. Further up the Claud Butler range their Cape Wrath mountain bikes are also pretty amazing value for money. Other cheap bikes which are really good value are the Edinburgh Bike co-op's own-brands.

But on the whole you need to be very careful buying cheap bikes. There are a few good ones but there are many, many dreadful ones.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Bigtwin said:
I think we can fairly safely sum up the OP with the words "stay away from Halfords".:biggrin:

I am no fan of Halfrauds, but the Boardman range does offer reasonable value for money, just don't trust them to set it up or service it...

Top Bottom