Just seen Arch on Look North

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Pete said:
..... by that crass comment of the male presenter, after the interview: "I certainly hope she doesn't get behind ME when I'm driving anyway..." This made me really angry - sorry! ;):angry::thumbsup::angry: Who the f*** does he think he think he is: whom he's superior to then? How condescending are TV presenters allowed to be? Are cyclists folk 'to keep away from' then? Why should he worry about being caught on camera? Is he boasting about his standard of driving being not for your eyes (or camera)? Or is he worried about his own driving abilities? Anyway it would be justice if he were 'shopped' on your footage one day....

Yeah, I wondered that... I'm just thankful it wasn't Christa Ackroyd, she's so bad my late BF once rang the BBC to complain about her being rude to an interviewee (and according to the person who took the call, he wasn't alone). I was thinking of dropping the reporter (who was lovely, and sympathetic) an email saying "hi, think it was good, cheers, and by the way, is Harry such a bad driver as all that?", but I expect her professionalism wouldn't allow her to comment. Harry Gration is a real old timer - I think I remember him from Nationwide back in the 70's.

And by the 8pm news snippet section, I had apparently invented the camera myself, according to the presenter...:biggrin:

Cheers everyone for all the great comments, I'm dead chuffed.

I was on Radio Five Live yesterday at about 4.30, live on the phone. But I know they do use footage here and there across the network. Look North knew about me because of Radio York, etc...

Saddle too low? Very possibly, a touch. Short legs mean it's a compromise between perfect saddle height and reaching the ground comfortably.;)

Yes, bonj, that bridge is in York - although it's a basic design that is quite common among the many Millennium Bridges erected. For a littlewhile, before it was built, someone I know tried to run a ferryboat service across there, because it's a major shortcut between a student housing hotspot and the campus. I'm glad I seemed to be going fast enough - I had to ride over that bridge about 20 times for all the angles. Later on they showed the clip of me trying to keep up behind the camera car - I was ok up to about 18mph;)

Gary, ooh, you've almost made me cry at the thought of your little 'un watching me! Although I gather from my sister that rapidly pumping legs is a sign of wind....:biggrin:

spindrift

Pete said:
Just watched through this (at home). Excellent work, Sue, nicely balanced and you got the level of your (our) point of view exactly right. I like the way you caught that prat who cut right across the cycle lane in a hurry to get into the left turn lane. A little tip: can you get a wider angle on the camera (zoom out) next time? Not easy to judge distances from your footage, but some of them seemed bloody close! Anyway, a pleasure to watch ....

.... spoilt ....

..... by that crass comment of the male presenter, after the interview: "I certainly hope she doesn't get behind ME when I'm driving anyway..." This made me really angry - sorry! ;):thumbsup:!;):biggrin:! Who the f*** does he think he think he is: whom he's superior to then? How condescending are TV presenters allowed to be? Are cyclists folk 'to keep away from' then? Why should he worry about being caught on camera? Is he boasting about his standard of driving being not for your eyes (or camera)? Or is he worried about his own driving abilities? Anyway it would be justice if he were 'shopped' on your footage one day....

What a twat. And where did that 15,000 figure come from?

Maz

Guru
spindrift said:
What a twat. And where did that 15,000 figure come from?
I couldn't believe that, either. Had to replay it to make sure I heard it right.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:
I couldn't believe that, either. Had to replay it to make sure I heard it right.

I had to correct her to get that. Off the top of her head, she had 15,000 killed! It's a figure I've heard before, but can't remember where, and it may be out of date now - I'm annoyed I didn't know to correct here, but I can't keep too many figures in my head at once..

LLB

Arch said:
Yeah, I wondered that... I'm just thankful it wasn't Christa Ackroyd, she's so bad my late BF once rang the BBC to complain about her being rude to an interviewee (and according to the person who took the call, he wasn't alone). I was thinking of dropping the reporter (who was lovely, and sympathetic) an email saying "hi, think it was good, cheers, and by the way, is Harry such a bad driver as all that?", but I expect her professionalism wouldn't allow her to comment. Harry Gration is a real old timer - I think I remember him from Nationwide back in the 70's.

And by the 8pm news snippet section, I had apparently invented the camera myself, according to the presenter...;)

Cheers everyone for all the great comments, I'm dead chuffed.

I was on Radio Five Live yesterday at about 4.30, live on the phone. But I know they do use footage here and there across the network. Look North knew about me because of Radio York, etc...

Saddle too low? Very possibly, a touch. Short legs mean it's a compromise between perfect saddle height and reaching the ground comfortably.;)

Yes, bonj, that bridge is in York - although it's a basic design that is quite common among the many Millennium Bridges erected. For a littlewhile, before it was built, someone I know tried to run a ferryboat service across there, because it's a major shortcut between a student housing hotspot and the campus. I'm glad I seemed to be going fast enough - I had to ride over that bridge about 20 times for all the angles. Later on they showed the clip of me trying to keep up behind the camera car - I was ok up to about 18mph;)

Gary, ooh, you've almost made me cry at the thought of your little 'un watching me! Although I gather from my sister that rapidly pumping legs is a sign of wind....:thumbsup:

Got a similar one in Cheltenham. I've walked, cycled, and even taken horses across it in the past

HBline2.jpg

Van Nick

Blimey Arch, you were tanking it a bit on that bike weren't you ?

Is that your normal speed or were you running particularly late for something ?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Van Nick said:
Blimey Arch, you were tanking it a bit on that bike weren't you ?

Is that your normal speed or were you running particularly late for something ?

Oh, was I? That was normalish... I mean I kept up a smart pace where I might otherwise have tailed off a bit, but I never think of myself as fast. I do often go out meaning to take it easy and find myself pushing it a bit.

It was lucky as well that most of the footage was on the level, or slightly downhill. I do slow quite a lot on up hills... And it was all filmed in short bites, so I had time to get my breath back.

You should have seen when they wanted to film me out of the back window of the car, following them. I kept up, up to about 15-18mph, and then gradually expired.... And they just kept on going.... I thought I was going to have to follow them all the way to Selby!

Arch

Married to Night Train
My favourite bit, BTW, was the bit where I roll into shot behind her, and she turns and talks to my camera. I wondered if they would want to do something like that, and then she came up with the idea herself, and it was all quite closely timed. And I had an old beer bottle top on the ground as a marker where to stop, and it was guesswork whether I'd have her in frame properly. But it all worked beautifully!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Arch said:
My favourite bit, BTW, was the bit where I roll into shot behind her, and she turns and talks to my camera. I wondered if they would want to do something like that, and then she came up with the idea herself, and it was all quite closely timed. And I had an old beer bottle top on the ground as a marker where to stop, and it was guesswork whether I'd have her in frame properly. But it all worked beautifully!

Indeed it did. My hero....*swoons*;)

Van Nick

Arch said:

Yes, I thought that sequence was pretty slick and the timing was impeccable.

How many takes did it require ?

PrettyboyTim

Hmm - just checked the link - it seems to be of a different 'episode' now. Stuff about some poor child who was stabbed by his father and some CCTV cameras in busses.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Van Nick said:
Yes, I thought that sequence was pretty slick and the timing was impeccable.

How many takes did it require ?

I think we did 4. We had a practice run not on camera, first take she fluffed my name, second I'd rolled forward too far and looked at the camera and the sound was less good, 3rd we weren't sure if I was pointing the camera at her face and so we did a fourth to be sure. Not sure which one it was, 3rd or 4th...

The camera man wanted to do a whole sequence of what he called 'Top Gear' style - fitting the camera, helmet on, gloves on, foot on pedal, ride off... looks like they had to cut it down for time.... Alas, Richard Hammond was not forthcoming.

simonali

Guru
Arch said:

No offence intended, Shorty! :ohmy:

I've had my bike a while now and am still playing with the saddle height every time I ride it, hence it being on my mind and me noticing, but comfort is the main priority, eh?

Top Bottom