Just sold the car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How do you guys manage if you need to travel somewhere for business or person reasons though and need to bring something more than a rucksack along for more than a day? I'd love to forever remain car-less but it almost seems impractical! Kudos to those who manage it though.. :smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Take the train/bus/plane and carry a suitcase :thumbsup:

Crankarm

Guru
I couldn't be without a car. I love driving as much as cycling :wahhey:. Plus not road cycling anymore I rather need and depend on my car.

I guess being without car would work in a city or urban enviornment where you have reasonable public transport but out in the sticks in rural areas it puts one at a serious disadvantage.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
I guess being without car would work in a city or urban enviornment where you have reasonable public transport but out in the sticks in rural areas it puts one at a serious disadvantage.

Well, we do live in a small town, but I wouldn't exactly call it a city or urban environment. I don't see much disadvantage in not having to pay to keep it insured, taxed, maintained, and then an extra €1.50 a litre for diesel if we actually wanted to use it.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have two cars. One for work,because i need a roof rack and an old Audi convertible that i picked up for a bit of pleasure.I never go much more than 60mph in either and i keep the miles down to a minimum, but i do love driving the Audi, it's the nearest i'll get to "affordable luxury"yet it cost just over a grand and less than 300 quid to fully insure.:thumbsup:

mattsr

I'm thinking about putting a Rixen Kaul bracket on the front of the Surly so I can just clip one of those big bag type things on it if I need to go anywhere and get shopping. Then I could put a small bar bag on it when I go for long rides as well because I'm struggling for space in my wedge pack when I want to take plenty of food and my camera (as well as all my tools, tubes and stuff). A bracket on the front seems less offensive on a road bike than a rack on the back!

If you have a Waitrose nearby they operate a cycle trailer loan scheme- just register once at the store, and you get a Bike-Hod trailer that clips to your seatpost:-

http://www.bikehod.com/bike-hod/shopping.html

It takes plenty of shopping- enough for a week for most people I would think- and you keep it for three days. No charge. And if Waitrose is a bit more expensive than Grotco- well, it's a much nicer shopping environment, and think of the money you've already saved by not driving there!

Although I now do most of my shopping online- you can get practically anything delivered nowadays!!

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
If you have a Waitrose nearby they operate a cycle trailer loan scheme- just register once at the store, and you get a Bike-Hod trailer that clips to your seatpost:-

http://www.bikehod.com/bike-hod/shopping.html

It takes plenty of shopping- enough for a week for most people I would think- and you keep it for three days. No charge. And if Waitrose is a bit more expensive than Grotco- well, it's a much nicer shopping environment, and think of the money you've already saved by not driving there!

Although I now do most of my shopping online- you can get practically anything delivered nowadays!!

Not in Spain. No Waitrose, and no getting food delivered.

We do most of our food shopping daily at independent shops in town, with a few things from the chain supermarket - all a couple of minutes walk away. I was thinking more of one-off type purchases - clothes, shoes, gifts, etc.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Great idea by Waitrose.

My car needs to stay for a range of reasons, although it's not used much. And at least it holds it's value, well as much as lime yellow Saab convertibles can.

mattsr

Not in Spain. No Waitrose, and no getting food delivered.

We do most of our food shopping daily at independent shops in town, with a few things from the chain supermarket - all a couple of minutes walk away. I was thinking more of one-off type purchases - clothes, shoes, gifts, etc.

Oh, sorry- I didn't spot your location! :shy:

As for the other items though- with a decent pair of panniers, rear rack and in extremis hanging bits off the handlebars, I don't think there's been anything that I haven't managed to transport on the bike, and as I say, most one-off purchases can be ordered online. You just have to re-think your approach a bit! Once you don't have a car, then you quickly find alternatives.

al78

Guru
How do you guys manage if you need to travel somewhere for business or person reasons though and need to bring something more than a rucksack along for more than a day? I'd love to forever remain car-less but it almost seems impractical! Kudos to those who manage it though.. :smile:

Train and folding bike.

With a rucksack and two decent sized panniers I can carry enough for a weeks holiday up with my family easily.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo

I rarely need much stuff, I've done a week-long business trip with everything in a shoulder bag. Got laundry done at the hotel. If I need to take equipment or samples (rarely in my case) I send them ahead. I just plan things a little differently.

I can't drive but I suspect many, if not most, people who are car free can and may hire a car when they need one.

Top Bottom