Just sold the car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
No, our reasons for selling our car were that we didn't need to use it and neither of us could be bothered to drive it for the sake of it. Hence, it spent over 6 months before we sold it sat in the garage with a flat battery. I don't see any advantage in paying out for insurance, tax and maintenance to keep a car in the garage with a flat battery. We'd much rather spend our money on other things that we get pleasure out of, like bikes, computers and clothes.

In an ideal world, where I had unlimited money, and could have anything I wanted, I'm still not sure that I'd bother with owning a car. Having more money wouldn't make me more likely to want to use it, and there would still be the hassle of having to organise insurance, tax and maintenance for a lump of metal that spent its life sat in the garage with a flat battery.

There are no financial disadvantages in not owning a car, so I can't argue with that point. However, having grown up in a rural area (3 miles outside a tiny village in North Devon that had a bus to the nearest town - 8 miles away - once a week), I can see how a car is more convenient, but I'd definitely dispute your argument that some people have "no option" but to drive. If I went back to live there now, I certainly wouldn't buy a car. Tesco deliver, after all.

I also never suggested that some journeys become almost like a military operation. I think I mentioned that I'll probably put a Rixen Kaul fitting on my road bike so I can just clip a bag on and go if I want to get any shopping. I'm not sure how clipping a bag on the bike is a military operation.

Honestly, if you want to spend your money on owning and running a car in preference to other things, that's your choice, and it's totally fine by me. But stop trying to force your choice onto other people by claiming there aren't any alternatives.

To avoid a flat car battery either disconnect it or get a trickle charger or start it up occasionally or better still actually drive the car! You are obviously some one who feels a lot of hostility toward vehicles in particular cars as you cannot be bothered owning one and refer to them as a lump of metal and requirement to have insurance, etc. Your solution seems to be Tescos home delivery by ......... van ............ Do you think Tescos is a company that has got where it has today by being hostile toward motor vehicles? I don't think so. Cars, vans etc have allowed us all to live the lives we take for granted today and give us the opportunities we take for granted. Some people don't have any option but to drive eg a long commute to work along roads you just would not wish to cycle, where public transport is either non existant or unreliableand cycling would take all day and is just not practical. Get ,cycling is brilliant, but it has it's place even in Malaga Spain. The hills in North Devon can be brutal so relying on a bicycle to get around would greatly reduce you and your family's lifestyles IF you and they were to cycle everywhere. I think if you have children they might object.

Cyclist33

Take the train/bus/plane and carry a suitcase :thumbsup:

+1, and also take the bike!

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
To avoid a flat car battery either disconnect it or get a trickle charger or start it up occasionally or better still actually drive the car! You are obviously some one who feels a lot of hostility toward vehicles in particular cars as you cannot be bothered owning one and refer to them as a lump of metal and requirement to have insurance, etc. Your solution seems to be Tescos home delivery by ......... van ............ Do you think Tescos is a company that has got where it has today by being hostile toward motor vehicles? I don't think so. Cars, vans etc have allowed us all to live the lives we take for granted today and give us the opportunities we take for granted. Some people don't have any option but to drive eg a long commute to work along roads you just would not wish to cycle, where public transport is either non existant or unreliableand cycling would take all day and is just not practical. Get ,cycling is brilliant, but it has it's place even in Malaga Spain. The hills in North Devon can be brutal so relying on a bicycle to get around would greatly reduce you and your family's lifestyles IF you and they were to cycle everywhere. I think if you have children they might object.

Stop throwing your toys out of the pram just because someone disagrees with your view of the car.

As I've said to you before, YOU are entitled to live YOUR life how you choose, and I don't care if you choose to spend all day driving around in your car, if it makes you happy. Stop trying to tell me how to live mine.

You're actually beginning to sound as if you feel threatened by people who choose not to own cars. Maybe it's because they are the kinds of people who will vote for increased taxation of motorists to improve public transport and cycling infrastructure. You don't need to worry about that in my case. As a British citizen, I do have the right to vote in UK elections, but I choose not to exercise that right now that I've chosen to live elsewhere.

As for the hills in North Devon .... they're just hills, and rather small compared to the mountains around here. I grew up there - remember? I suspect I've cycled there rather more than you have.

Cyclist33

Your previous post,

I get the impression that your reasons for not using, selling your car are purely financial?

The disadvantages in not owning a car in a rural area are not financial they are that you become more limited in your opportunities and as you have suggested some journeys become almost like a military operation where as if you have a car you can just jump in it and go. Cars, bicycles, public transport all have their place, but as good as cycling is, a car is a pretty quick and painless way to travel. Some people have no option but to drive.

Your last sentence is not a logical certainty based on the previous statements. There is probably a case for disabled/less-able people who might not for instance be physically able to ride a bike. But it doesn't follow that if a) with a car one can jump in and go, and b) a car is a quick and painless way to travel, then c) some people have no option but to drive.

It reads like you've got this ridiculous mantra and simply tacking it onto your other opinions lends neither any more weight.

Crankarm

Guru
Stop throwing your toys out of the pram just because someone disagrees with your view of the car.

As I've said to you before, YOU are entitled to live YOUR life how you choose, and I don't care if you choose to spend all day driving around in your car, if it makes you happy. Stop trying to tell me how to live mine.

You're actually beginning to sound as if you feel threatened by people who choose not to own cars. Maybe it's because they are the kinds of people who will vote for increased taxation of motorists to improve public transport and cycling infrastructure. You don't need to worry about that in my case. As a British citizen, I do have the right to vote in UK elections, but I choose not to exercise that right now that I've chosen to live elsewhere.

As for the hills in North Devon .... they're just hills, and rather small compared to the mountains around here. I grew up there - remember? I suspect I've cycled there rather more than you have.

LMAO. You are the one throwing your toys out your pram :laugh:. You are the one getting personal. Fine if you want to ditch your car that's your choice but at least he honest with your self why you are doing it. No need to go on an anti-car rant and insult those who happen to drive as well as cycle. It gets rather monotonous after a while. Bicycles and cars each have their place in the pantheon of transport which you seem not to have grasped. Ho hum ...........

How do you fair cycling in Spain as 1) it is A LOT hotter than the UK and 2) I believe the Spanish have much higher figures for RTAs than in UK?

Crankarm

Guru
Your last sentence is not a logical certainty based on the previous statements. There is probably a case for disabled/less-able people who might not for instance be physically able to ride a bike. But it doesn't follow that if a) with a car one can jump in and go, and b) a car is a quick and painless way to travel, then c) some people have no option but to drive.

It reads like you've got this ridiculous mantra and simply tacking it onto your other opinions lends neither any more weight.

And you haven't???!! ............. :rolleyes:.

Paul J

I travelled 1074 miles in 19hrs excluding breaks so I don't think I can do without a car for my work. I do wish petrol was cheaper as it cost me £130

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
:popcorn: time ! (Thats twice today).

Anyway lulubel lives in a nice sunny part of the world - why the hell would you want to sit in a 'hot' car ? Perfect for cycling round there.

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
LMAO. You are the one throwing your toys out your pram :laugh:. You are the one getting personal. Fine if you want to ditch your car that's your choice but at least he honest with your self why you are doing it. No need to go on an anti-car rant and insult those who happen to drive as well as cycle. It gets rather monotonous after a while. Bicycles and cars each have their place in the pantheon of transport which you seem not to have grasped. Ho hum ...........

How do you fair cycling in Spain as 1) it is A LOT hotter than the UK and 2) I believe the Spanish have much higher figures for RTAs than in UK?

I'm not being honest with myself? OK, what are my reasons, then?

Devon's hilly and Spain is a lot hotter than the UK. Your powers of observation are astounding.

It can be a bit heavy going when temperatures reach the mid-30s in July and August, but it isn't stopping me putting in a few hundred kms a week at the moment. On the plus side, temperatures rarely drop out of double figures in the winter, and we don't get much of that wet stuff that comes out of the sky and makes the roads slippery and visibility poor.

RTAs? I don't know the figures because they really don't interest me. I can say, on the occasions I've been spat at, nearly run off the road or had abuse hurled at me, the cars being driven have all had GB plates.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Can I suggest Crankarm that you take a step back and look at your posts. You appear to be suggesting that Lulubel is strange and/or deluded because she is choosing to live without a car.

If you feel that you cannot live without a car that is fine - entirely your choice, but you appear to be trying to enforce your view on someone else which, IMO is not cool. Other people may not share your views and are entirely happy not having a car, get over it!

Sara_H

Guru
I've not had a car since December and it was off road for 6 months before that. I have occasional use of OH's car, but don't use it very often.

I usually do my food shopping by bike, i have two ortlieb back rollers, a basket on the front (for the bread). Loo roll gets bunjeed on top of the rack. I can manage an average weeks shop like this.
Of course, sometimes if I need to buy a big sack of dog food or alot of tins etc I wait til I can use car or get a taxi.

As others have said, I feel quite liberated by not having the car, and enjoy having the money saved to spend on things I enjoy instead.

Funny thing that these days making the choice to not own a car is seen by some as strange, my mum (now mid sixties) never learnt to drive and has managed her life well enough with out owning a car.

Top Bottom