Just sold the car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Can I suggest Crankarm that you take a step back and look at your posts. You appear to be suggesting that Lulubel is strange and/or deluded because she is choosing to live without a car.

If you feel that you cannot live without a car that is fine - entirely your choice, but you appear to be trying to enforce your view on someone else which, IMO is not cool. Other people may not share your views and are entirely happy not having a car, get over it!

Hi Phil, Thank you for your input. I am sure Lulu is big enough to look after herself as she is after all carless. Do you own a car or drive?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi Phil, Thank you for your input. I am sure Lulu is big enough to look after herself as she is after all carless.
In other words; "mind your own business". At least you're being polite about it.
Do you own a car or drive?
Does it matter?

OP
OP
lulubel

lulubel

Über Member
Can I suggest Crankarm that you take a step back and look at your posts. You appear to be suggesting that Lulubel is strange and/or deluded because she is choosing to live without a car.

If you feel that you cannot live without a car that is fine - entirely your choice, but you appear to be trying to enforce your view on someone else which, IMO is not cool. Other people may not share your views and are entirely happy not having a car, get over it!

Hi Phil, Thank you for your input. I am sure Lulu is big enough to look after herself as she is after all carless.

Thanks for the support, Phil, but he is right in one thing, and that's that I can look after myself. Although I'm not sure how not having a car benefits me in that. Seeing as a car can be used as a weapon, I think I'd be better able to look after myself if I did have one. But what do I know? I'm obviously wrong about a lot of things.

And on that subject, you haven't answered my question, Crankarm. Since I'm obviously deluding myself with my belief that I sold my car because I don't want or need to drive it, I'm waiting with baited breath for you to tell me what my real reasons were.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Lulubel, I think Crankarm means that without a car a lady has to be a black belt in karate to survive the mean streets of Malaga :laugh:
Whatever gave him that impression? It's the mean streets of Glasgow that are to be feared :ph34r: ;)
It's all a matter of choice: I am sure that if I liked driving/really needed to, I would run a car, maybe give up other stuff to balance the expense of it.

D

Deleted member 1258

This thread has got a bit lively since I last read it! I must admit I'm going the other way on this now. I've been car free for over 30 years now, my last one was a plastic pig, Reliant Supervan, but I'm now in the process of buying an old Ford KA. As much as I love my cycling it does have its limits, the wife does not cycle or drive and we are both into our 60's now so a small car should give us a little more freedom, cover what I can't do on the bike and maybe make life a little easier.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Thats the one, a dark green hand painted one, I only had a motorbike licence at the time, so my choice was limited.

:rofl: Pictureeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

cycleruk

Your previous post,

I get the impression that your reasons for not using, selling your car are purely financial?

The disadvantages in not owning a car in a rural area are not financial they are that you become more limited in your opportunities and as you have suggested some journeys become almost like a military operation where as if you have a car you can just jump in it and go. Cars, bicycles, public transport all have their place, but as good as cycling is, a car is a pretty quick and painless way to travel. Some people have no option but to drive.

I have to agree here a gave up my car a little while ago ago, nine times out of ten i could use a bike and not worry about it but that every 1 in 10 i would think dame i wish i had a car and where a bike fails a car really does come into its own. i live out in the sticks abit and really has proved it self when the time has come.

What i noticed when i was car free is that people in cars etc seem to think that people on pushbikes are poor, this really is not the case and i did get pissed of when people said this to me, people dont know how i spent my money so have no dame right to say shoot like that! i spent MY money on things I wanted to spend it on, not because i was bloody poor!!! there are some people who drive but i bet have never ridden a push bike in there lives, well i say get of your lazy arses and try before you start judging me by the push bike that i ride!!!!!!!!:cursing:

I love cycling:smooch::wub: and im proud to say that i do still ride my bike, i ride my pushbike when i go to work, when i go to the shops, when i exercise and even when i go on holiday (bike touring). i have nothing but respect for the people who are car free, i really do and maybe there maybe a time when i too can do this but for every that 1 in 10, that once in a blue moon, the car really is worth its weight in gold

i pay for mot, tax (sorry v.e.d!:blush: ) insurance fuel etc it is expensive and i think by riding my bike most of time i do feel i offset those cost and really makes having a car worth while.

i own a push bike because i enjoy, no i love cycling and i own a car because every now and then the car is able to do things i carnt do with a push bike:hugs:

PLEASE NOTE this in not ment to up set any one and is only a view point of my current circimstances

fingers crossed my internet connection wont time out as this took a long time to type!:laugh:

400bhp

Guru
To say there is no option but to drive implies that owning a car is a basic human right.

It isn't. Let's not go down that route of adding car ownership to the Relative Poverty equation please.

D

Deleted member 1258

To say there is no option but to drive implies that owning a car is a basic human right.

It isn't. Let's not go down that route of adding car ownership to the Relative Poverty equation please.

A car is a useful tool thats all it is, the problem is that the way things are set up now, not owning a car is going to have some limitations to it, and the more out in the sticks you are the more limitations you are going to come across. When I first went car free in the late seventies we were living close to Coventry city centre, we could walk in, now we are out on the outskirts we can only get in on the bus, this costs £3.50 for the round trip and we are governed by the bus timetable, in the seventies there were more buses going to more places with cheaper fares than now. The other thing is that things are more spread out now, in the seventies that process had only just started so most places were more central than they are now.

al78

Guru

No it doesn't, it just means that given the way their life is at the moment, a car is essential.

There do exist activities that some people are expected to do which would be either impractical or impossible without the use of a car.

400bhp

Guru
No it doesn't, it just means that given the way their life is at the moment, a car is essential.

Just think about what you are saying there.

A car is never ever essential for basic human existence-sure, it is a nice thing to have, and for some it might be an easier alternative to getting around another way.

We are very lucky in this country for you to even think in the way you do, to have the thought that a car should be a "need", not a want".

Top Bottom