Just started taking sprinting seriously

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thebigP

Finally got some number for my sprints:
  • 758W(avg) for 10s
  • I weigh 76kg, 9.9W/kg
Is that a disappointment or a not too bad start?
Someone please tell me I have no reference point

vickster

Legendary Member
On the road or turbo?

This may help
https://www.cyclinganalytics.com/blog/2018/06/how-does-your-cycling-power-output-compare

Its american so gives a example of where you would be against their Cat system at the bottom of the article, does not give a 10s example but a 5s. If you have Strava and go into your power curve you can see your best 5s or any time power average if you have power meters on your bike. ( mine has me down as near top of Cat 5 but I am 57 and over a stone overweight )
upload_2019-9-7_7-52-52.png

upload_2019-9-7_7-53-49.png

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
73kg and my 10 second average is around 670W.

Not amazing stats and I’m not a natural cyclist, but since a youngster sprinting on the athletics track or bike has been my strongest area. That said, long distance is my interest so I enjoy partaking in Audax which ticks a bucket full of disciplines that my personality suits. Sandals, beard and long hair included.

OP
OP
thebigP

thebigP

This may help
https://www.cyclinganalytics.com/blog/2018/06/how-does-your-cycling-power-output-compare

Its american so gives a example of where you would be against their Cat system at the bottom of the article, does not give a 10s example but a 5s. If you have Strava and go into your power curve you can see your best 5s or any time power average if you have power meters on your bike. ( mine has me down as near top of Cat 5 but I am 57 and over a stone overweight )
View attachment 483928
View attachment 483929
Thank you for this. I didn’t really look at my ftp. Will do for the next ride

OP
OP
thebigP

thebigP

73kg and my 10 second average is around 670W.

Not amazing stats and I’m not a natural cyclist, but since a youngster sprinting on the athletics track or bike has been my strongest area. That said, long distance is my interest so I enjoy partaking in Audax which ticks a bucket full of disciplines that my personality suits. Sandals, beard and long hair included.
Ah yea. I don’t have a beard nor a pair of sandals

The best 10 second average I ever achieved, was 1300 W, which equates to about 17 W/Kg. This was 20 odd years ago, and it very nearly killed me then. The best I regularly get now is about 12W/Kg, and even that’s painful.

I would never describe my self as a sprinter but a good club rider and TT's are more my thing and delivering a more constant power but my 10sec best recently (27 May 2019) was 636w and I am 59.5kg, 10.7w/kg. I maybe done better when I was younger but I never had a power meter then.

Bill Gates

I might be wrong but I seem to remember somewhere that Mark Cavendish didn't produce the sort of power results from a machine that you would expect. His success was as much about the extra effort he managed to get out of himself from the race situation. OK I'm old skool, very old skool, but it seems to me that if you don't produce the figures you want in training it sort of acts as a negative to your self confidence. I used to ride rollers to improve bike handling skills and for sprint interval training. Going eye balls out on rollers with your cadence up to 130/140 rpm is not for the faint hearted. I measured my progress by how many sets I could do before the effort was too much. Power - No idea!

Last edited:
Top Bottom