Just starting out- have a niggle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pimptovimto

Hi this is my first post,

When I go out cycling I start to feel a pain on the outer part of my right thigh at the back, its about half way up my thigh, once it comes on it never really goes away but it doesn't really get any worse either, its very annoying and distracting. I did 40 miles a couple of weeks ago and it came on at about 28 miles, the other day I did 20 miles but it came on at about 5 miles. If I adjust my sitting position it sort of relives it but it quickly comes back.

Anyone else had this or know what it might be and what I can do about it?

Thanks

PV

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm not an expert ... but I will start with have you got the saddle at the right height?

If you can reach the ground easily when sitting on the saddle then its too low. Someone will be along with the precise technique for measuring it, but its to do with how straight your leg is when sitting in the saddle, with your heel on the pedal.

jpatterson

I had this when I started riding. Without seeing your position on the bike its hard to say - maybe you can go to a local old fashioned bike shop and get them to look as you sit on the bike and see what they reckon?
Alternatively try some gentle hamstring and quad stretches at home when watching the tv. 10 minutes a day and gentle mind!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
If the pain is in the hamstring - could the saddle be too high? Also if you're just starting out 48 milers might be a bit far... dunno.

Hope this helps,
SD

TVC

Are you using clipless pedals? If so it could be that the cleats are not correctly aligned to your natual foot position causing tension in the knee and outer thighs.

ASC1951

Guru
Sounds like a tight hamstring to me. Cycling is notorious for causing hamstring problems, because you never give that muscle full extension even if your set-up is perfect, so people who get most of their exercise on the bike need to do regular stretching (or in my case, forget to do it and have regular visits to the physio instead).

I go along with the 'saddle too high' theory. Getting your bike set-up spot on is not straightforward: not just frame size, but saddle height and fore-and-aft adjustment, stem and bar ditto. There are lots of websites that show you how to do it, but IME a session at the LBS on a jig operated by someone who knows what they are doing is money well spent.

Top Bottom