Katie Price needs help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Community Sentences are more effective than short Prison Sentences, based on MOJ statistics.

http://www.prisonreformtrust.org.uk/Portals/0/Documents/effective community sentences.pdf

It's odd how the likes of the Prison Reform Trust and the Howard League for Penal Reform always manage to portray prison as a waste of time and resources.

Anyone would think they had a vested interest.

After all manner of community options have been tried and ignored by the defendant, there has to be a stronger option, which is prison.

The first clang of the prison gates is often the most effective, jails are horrid places and people such as Price who are used to a normal free life find being locked up particularly unpleasant.

Thus a few months in pokey might genuinely bring her up short, and finally persuade her to behave herself.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Not if they made 'an example' of her and gave her 5 years, OK she'd be out (under Licence) after 2 1/2 - 3 years

oh and crush the remains of the Car
And the others who would be likely to reoffend - also lock them up for ever longer stretches, too? The American model doesn't seem very successful, and I don't think this one would be any more so, I'm afraid.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I do wonder if all the people making excuses would do the same if next time she's run over one of their children while banned from driving and high on drugs.

Only luck, not judgement that she's got away without killing someone already..
Nobody is excusing her from culpability for her crime as far as I can see. There are those who seek a more effective resolution than simply locking more and more people up who will not respond - because they cannot - to jail time.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
...and all the others for whom incarceration is the only way to protect the public, I guess.

We're going to need a bigger jail. And another, and another and so on.

Well, perhaps, some will learn... for those who will not... then public safety comes first IMHO.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
And the others who would be likely to reoffend - also lock them up for ever longer stretches, too? The American model doesn't seem very successful, and I don't think this one would be any more so, I'm afraid.

Well... based on Ms Price as an example, the current model does not appear to be a roaring success IMHO

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Well... based on Ms Price as an example, the current model does not appear to be a roaring success IMHO
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate
The USA's model remarkable in its ineffectiveness, I'd suggest.

Addicts are highly unlikely to respond to jail time. Whilst it's attractive, at least superficially, to put people away because we're protected, it's unsustainable. With addicts the best option is to rehabilitate - everyone wins that way, or to prevent, perhaps by using technology to constrain individuals without having them languish in jail, doing no good, and costing huge amounts of the public purse.

Top Bottom