Keep getting a flat tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all fellow riders could someone please help me I keep getting a puncture on my rear wheel on my mountain bike and it seems to be always just around the bottom of the valve stem? Could somebody please give me some sort of advice to avoid this in the future? Thanks everyone.

Tim Hall

I've seen this on an MTB where the tyre was a fairly sloppy fit to the rim. Consequently the tyre could slip round the rim during use, dragging the tube with it. The valve stem then bears against the hole in the rim and fails. Some respite was gained by pumping the tyre up harder, so it couldn't drag round.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
As its always in a similar area by the valve check...

1- That the tube isn't being stressed as you inflate it if the valve isn't sitting straight out of the wheel.
2- More likely, check the are of the wheel where the valve is located is free of sharp edges or anything that could puncture it.

jack smith

Veteran
Something will probably be stuck in the tyre as said above, make sure you allign the tyre logo with the valve so its easy to work out where on the outside of the tyre the puncture happened

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Other causes I've seen: sharp burr on the rim's valve hole; using the wrong valve type (Presta in a Schrader rim); and most commonly, using a pump that doesn't connect with a flexible hose or clip to a spoke and sawing the valve back and forth as it is pumped up.

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
Something will probably be stuck in the tyre as said above, make sure you allign the tyre logo with the valve so its easy to work out where on the outside of the tyre the puncture happened
I love this idea! I've usually just left the tyre on the rim and then after finding the puncture then lined it up to valve to valve hole and checked around inside the wheel/tyre after locating the area it happened. this would be so much more logical and quicker! Thank you for this lesson :smile:

I usually take a chance of running my fingers round the inside of the rim check tape is in place no sharp edges and then nothing left in the tyre or wire mesh poking through that could be damaging tubes :smile: so that would be my advice to check those and above listed ideas

Globalti

Legendary Member
Check for small pieces of glass embedded in the tyre. I found one in my buddy's tyre last Tuesday, which has caused him four mystery punctures in quick succession.

doug

Veteran
Check the rim tape - I had frequent punctures on a wheel where the rim tape had shifted and exposed a spoke hole.
Fixing the rim tape solved the problem.

OP
OP
Q

QuavaFlava

Hi all riders can anyone give me some tips so I can stop receiving slice, split, etc punctures around the bottom of my schrader valve around the valve hole. Thanks ladies and gentleman.

Top Bottom