Keeping my mouth/face warm this coming winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've tried balaclavas and scarfs over the years but i've never quite managed to keep the cold out of my mouth. I get terrible dental pain after a ride in anything but warm weather, so much so that my teeth throb and i have to take painkillers to ease it. Even then it takes a while to go.
I've seen full face masks but they seem to be for motorcyclists and skiers. I don't think i'd be able to breath enough through material and therefore it'd affect my cycling and wouldn't be very pleasant. Can anyone recommend a mask or anything else that'll keep the cold out of my mouth but allow me to breath easily?

potsy

Rambler
A buff :okay:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Buff?

I use a long scarf wrapped in a certain manner but it sounds like you've dismissed that already. Trouble is, my neck gets too hot with anything that protects my chin :sad:

a buff - usually available in Aldi or Lidl for a couple of quid during one of their sales. no reflective strip like the official buffs but hey those are about 5 times the cost.

there was even a cycle chat one not so long ago.

potsy

Rambler
Even though I recommend a buff for it's versatility I have bought one of those cycling balaclavas that Aldi were selling the other week.
Probably the kind of thing I'll wear once then stuff it in a drawer never to be seen again, but for a fiver I took the risk :ph34r:

A gumshield.

Fubar

Guru
I've tried balaclavas and scarfs over the years but i've never quite managed to keep the cold out of my mouth. I get terrible dental pain after a ride in anything but warm weather, so much so that my teeth throb and i have to take painkillers to ease it. Even then it takes a while to go.
I've seen full face masks but they seem to be for motorcyclists and skiers. I don't think i'd be able to breath enough through material and therefore it'd affect my cycling and wouldn't be very pleasant. Can anyone recommend a mask or anything else that'll keep the cold out of my mouth but allow me to breath easily?

Just a thought - are you sure it's the cold causing it? I find I get toothache if my helmet is too tight - ratchet it back a notch or two and the toothache disappears.

Of course I could just be weird...

Top Bottom