Keeping my mouth/face warm this coming winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
PS buffs come free with cycling plus every Autumn.

So no Buff last year (Gloves instead) and guess what? No Buff this year either... the same gloves again.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
So no Buff last year (Gloves instead) and guess what? No Buff this year either... the same gloves again.

Ah you've missed it this year

This one came off the front of CA or MTB summat or other a couple of weeks ago.
I only ever buy a bike mag once a year for the autumn buff.
1444673752541.jpg

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
@Accy cyclist a bit of an odd suggestion but have you considered a decorators/CSI type mask (3M make our work ones), they cover mouth and chin, have the adjustable metal nose bar to keep air from expelling upwards if you wear glasses and the decent ones have a small plastic filter at the front that makes breathing in and out far easier and less prone to soggy buff syndrome than the cheaper ones. You'd look a tad odd riding along in it but I think it'd answer your problems.

PS. Sensodyne Toothpaste helps me when I have sensitive teeth. ( I think one or two have mentioned it)

I ride motorbikes and a neck buff is the dogs danglies. Riding in winter use to boil my piss but for years I have used a buff and now I'm as chuffed as a chuffed thing

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephen C

Über Member
I use a buff and find similar problems with fogging glasses etc if I cover my mouth completely so have it only over my bottom lip. Air flow in is unobstructed, but when I breath out it catches under the buff which re-directs the warm breath around my face and neck.

Keeps me going to below freezing! :cold:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What about a respro pollution filter. I got too hot in that!

I wonder if this'd do the trick?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...Xuq0XgICOlqMBNoc4OJvLhoC3xrw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

well it will turn up quicker than the other two you listed (the first had a review saying it took 5 weeks to arrive from china and the second was from Hong Kong
but given your concern about airflow an anti pollution mask seems a bad idea (as seems to be indicated by MattDB). I suspect hacienda71 would approve though.
Get a cheap buff and see how you go with that (given you can get genuine polar buffs for under £20 I suspect the average cc member is scrooge mccyclist ^_^)

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
That's the one I have. I actually struggled to get enough air at times and had to pull it off up hills. I liked the thought I was breathing in filtered air but always thought these were expensive for what they are.

I sometimes struggle for air as it is. I don't commute in heavy traffic(exhaust fumes)and i don't ride through air polluted cities and towns. So maybe a mask's a bad idea. I'll stick to the paracetamol for the time being.:okay:

sanddancer

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-3-dec/product-detail/ps/p/ski-pro-accessories/

I've tried balaclavas and scarfs over the years but i've never quite managed to keep the cold out of my mouth. I get terrible dental pain after a ride in anything but warm weather, so much so that my teeth throb and i have to take painkillers to ease it. Even then it takes a while to go.
I've seen full face masks but they seem to be for motorcyclists and skiers. I don't think i'd be able to breath enough through material and therefore it'd affect my cycling and wouldn't be very pleasant. Can anyone recommend a mask or anything else that'll keep the cold out of my mouth but allow me to breath easily?

@Accy cyclist
how about this ?
Link in top of the post.

Last edited:
Top Bottom