Keeping my mouth/face warm this coming winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS buffs come free with cycling plus every Autumn.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I disagree, all my buffs are super thin and cover my moth if I wish. However,I'm can't stand it when they do cover my mouth, I struggle for breath and my glasses fog up really quick.

I'm sure it's a psychological thing as it can't really restrict my breathing but it feels like it does.

I suspect the OP will struggle with anything other than perhaps a full face lid or guard of some sort that shields the mouth but allows free flow of air.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Sensodyne toothpaste!
This is probably the best suggestion

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I disagree, all my buffs are super thin and cover my moth if I wish. However,I'm can't stand it when they do cover my mouth, I struggle for breath and my glasses fog up really quick.

I'm sure it's a psychological thing as it can't really restrict my breathing but it feels like it does.

I suspect the OP will struggle with anything other than perhaps a full face lid or guard of some sort that shields the mouth but allows free flow of air.

I don't seem to have your problems, nor other people by the looks of things.
I think it's a classic case of it works for some but not others.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've tried balaclavas and scarfs over the years but i've never quite managed to keep the cold out of my mouth. I get terrible dental pain after a ride in anything but warm weather, so much so that my teeth throb and i have to take painkillers to ease it. Even then it takes a while to go.
I've seen full face masks but they seem to be for motorcyclists and skiers. I don't think i'd be able to breath enough through material and therefore it'd affect my cycling and wouldn't be very pleasant. Can anyone recommend a mask or anything else that'll keep the cold out of my mouth but allow me to breath easily?
Could a gum shield work, like a boxers shield?

Never worn one so don't know if they restrict air flow.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The problem with sticking a buff over your mouth is that, in cold weather, your breath condenses in the fabric and it ends up all soggy. This is fine as long as the buff stays warm but it's not a good feeling when it cools down.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies and suggestions so far! I've done a bit of research and i reckon i've been brushing my teeth too hard and with a hard bristled brush so i've worn down the surface enamel which exposes tiny nerve endings As some have suggested i could visit a dentist but i'm not paying umpteen quid for someone to tell me something i've just read up about, I can either try some Sensodyne toothpaste or cover up. A buff sounds ok but as Slowmotion says, they get soggy in cold conditions and aren't very comfy afterwards. Maybe i should just keep taking the painkillers if the other options don't work.

This might be ok?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bicycle-Motorcycle-Cycling-Boolavard®-TM/dp/B00HMAGDKW

Top Bottom