Ken Bruce is leaving radio 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Was he ever in the running? I don't think I've ever heard him on the radio though I know he does do it.

Don't know, and don't care!

Oh well if the Telegraph say it . It must be true 😂😂😂😂

I don't read it, just repeating something that was said on the R4 Today programme.
True that he has been put on garden leave though & that he wanted to work out his contract.

He's made a couple jokes about it, one couple have already messaged him to ask if he is on Gardening Leave can he come and sort out their garden ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
He's made a couple jokes about it, one couple have already messaged him to ask if he is on Gardening Leave can he come and sort out their garden ^_^
That is so typical of the Bruce Era. Someone else wrote in:
'They'll put a blue plaque above your desk - with a note saying "Don't worry , he's not still here." '
I mean, it's not Cook and Moore, is it?? But it's gentle, harmless humour. Which I think was the energy driving this show for the 600 years that his listeners have stuck with him.

nickb

Guru
I seem to be an outlier in disliking this show* The few times I ever caught it, I thought that Popmaster was a decent enough quiz but was ruined by the denouement.

If you couldn't name 3 hits by (for instance) Right Said Fred, all your prior work was for nought.

* as a boomer, I'm the right demographic; but I'm more of a 6Music sort of chap.

Well I just finished the show (on catch up), no big speeches at the end though he did thank a few people (Inc BBC). They interspersed a few old clips of him but mostly it seemed a normal show which is how I think he wanted it.

I seem to be an outlier in disliking this show* The few times I ever caught it, I thought that Popmaster was a decent enough quiz but was ruined by the denouement.

If you couldn't name 3 hits by (for instance) Right Said Fred, all your prior work was for nought.

* as a boomer, I'm the right demographic; but I'm more of a 6Music sort of chap.

Its a tougher than it seems, it is called Popmaster after all! Today's quiz went as far back as 1973 so that's 50 years of pop music I'd need to be familiar with to do well. I felt sorry for today's first contestant her mind seemed to go blank and she only got 3 points!

Venod

Eh up
I felt sorry for today's first contestant her mind seemed to go blank and she only got 3 points!

On the turbo this morning listening to Spotify, but I tuned in to listen to pop master, the questions she got were really difficult, I did think are they setting all the hard questions they have missed over the years for this last show, but the second contestant had it a bit easier.

nickb

Guru
Its a tougher than it seems, it is called Popmaster after all!
I didn't suggest it was easy, I thought I'd implied the opposite. To get through, you needed to demonstrate a wide knowledge of pop music, merely to be stymied at the end if you didn't know 3 hits by The Boo Radleys

Top Bottom