Keto Diet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
You also have to remember it’s not a high carb / low carb binary choice. Your diet may be medium carb or any percentage between what is considered high and what is considered low.
I guess you'd define low carb as below the threshold to maintain normoglycaemia, that's what matters in terms of ketogenesis. What that threshold is I don't know, that's what dieticians are for.

vickster

Legendary Member
I guess you'd define low carb as below the threshold to maintain normoglycaemia, that's what matters in terms of ketogenesis. What that threshold is I don't know, that's what dieticians are for.
Or people who make YouTube videos it seems :ph34r:

winjim

Smash the cistern
let me remind you that the premise of the diet re Prof Time Noakes was tested in a court of law, not once but twice
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Noakes was accused of misconduct over a tweet because it was claimed that he was 'undermining breastfeeding'. He was cleared because it was found that twitter is not a medium that should be considered suitable for the dispensing of medical advice and that he wasn't acting in the capacity of a medical doctor. Here's an excerpt from the judgement which may be of interest:

The respondent’s responding tweet also referred to the very same acronym, LCHF. At no point in the tweeted question or response did either Ms Leenstra or the respondent refer to either low carbs or define LCHF as meaning no carbs or such low carbs as to make the carb content negligible.

Neither did either refer to or define or restrict LCHF to any particular meaning or definition, least of which the so-called ketogenic diet. At least one other tweeter, Dr Gail Ashford, noticed this and ventured the comment as follows:

“I do not understand where the danger lies. Honest query. Low carb is
not NO carb. It is not high protein either.”

So it explicitly wasn't the premise of the ketogenic diet that was being tested in court, it was his capacity to give advice on breastfeeding. The ruling was basically that he knows bog all about neonatology and paediatrics but really it's up to the mother what she decides to do with information from twitter.

I only skimmed it. If anybody wants to wade through the entire thing and add to or correct what I've written, here it is...

https://www.medicalbrief.co.za/archives/oakes-cleared-misconduct-full-hpcsa-judgment/

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

You wrongly assumed that people on the Keto diet eat processed meat, not necessarily true, a lot of people stick to grass fed meat and or organic. Also people who eat a varied diet also eat processed meats unless they specifically say they don't have it in their diet. So please don't assume that all lchf are processed meat eaters and if they was the case bacon sales would be a lot lower than they are. Saying that I buy bacon from M&S which doesn't contain nitrates but my choice. There are now various research findings saying it's ok to eat processed meats.
Hi Jogger I have placed all the crap coming our way from the trolls on this thread on Ignore mate. I suggest you do the same. It's great

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi Jogger I have placed all the crap coming our way from the trolls on this thread on Ignore mate. I suggest you do the same. It's great
Yes, let’s stifle honest, open and challenging debate with people of differing views. That’ll keep an open mind.
Where exactly is all this ‘crap coming from trolls’?
...that is assuming you can still read this :-)

winjim

Smash the cistern
Yes, let’s stifle honest, open and challenging debate with people of differing views. That’ll keep an open mind.
I don't know if he's including me, but if that's his response to an invitation to 'correct me if I'm wrong', then I'm going to assume that I'm not wrong.

vickster

Legendary Member
Seemingly he's only interested in discussion with other keto dieters, so why not just use a keto diet forum?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Surely this is a contradiction, is it not?
No. I'm not excluding a whole class of food, which is generally considered a normal part of a balanced diet. What I'm doing is psychologically easy and explicitly a way to eat fewer calories.
I had a bullet proof coffee at lunchtime, Butter and Coconut Oil blended in coffee maybe around 300 calories or so. That's gone out in burned energy by now. if I had eaten a bowl of rice 300 calories my insulin levels would have gone up and the calories stored as fat.
Within minutes the fat is converted into ketones and transported by the blood to the muscles (mitochondria) for energy. (my science might not be spot on here but should be close enough for this purpose
This is hilarious in its wrongness. If 300 calories were really converted into heat within minutes you'd have a fever. 300 calories is an enormous amount - it's half an hour of running or cycling.

Having lots of weight to lose im assuming is the reason why im inadvertently in ketosis

An alternative explanation is that you're not really in ketosis and the tool you're using isn't very effective. Which, to be honest, is more likely - especially as you're eating a healthy balanced diet which includes carbohydrate.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Here is a keto breakfast I had this morning. Yesterday I had no breakfast at all. I wasn't hungry.A couple of slices of Salami and chunk of full fat cheese with garlic ( predicted text forbids me to write the name) with cherry tomatoes and rocket and avocado with virgin olive oil and Himalayan salt. Very nutritious.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Ha! Bad genes, growing- up on clotted cream and cigarettes, stressful job, Simple youthful hedonism and not listening to the Doctor. I was a ticking time-bomb. That’s partly the reason why diet, cholesterol and obesity remain of professional interest, even though it’s not my primary area of food expertise....
And I love cooking and eating :-))))

A recent Angiogram showed an incredibly healthy heart despite it’s earlier abuse, which goes to suggest my dietary approach at least for me has value.

well done you

similar story here, genes, plus a bit of assistance from my own, youthful, lifestyle.

now, my fit bit, tells me I have a very healthy heart for my age. Let us hope it is right!

Top Bottom