Keto Diet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Keep an eye on your bowel habits :ph34r: as you're 'that age'

I had a heart attack at age 49.

Still here to tell the tale.

One certainty in life, we are all going to die eventually ;) I just hope for a quick end, no lingering in Hospice or Nursing Home or whatever. A ticket to Switzerland would suit me, if necessary, but, hopefully, not for a while yet, having too much fun. ;)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Anyhow, what is everybody eating tonight -without analysis!

For 3 portions I ....
Baked 2 peppers and 1 finely diced onion in the oven.
Baked a 5” piece of Chorizo sliced on a griddle to drain the fat.
Griddled 2 chicken breasts with Cumin seeds and diced.
Added all the above to a pan with a tin of tomato and 400 grams of home cooked kidney beans and smoked Paprika.
Finally seasoned with black pepper, soy sauce and green Tabasco.
Washed down with a glass of Pecorino....
:-)
Hic....

Fab Foodie

I had a heart attack at age 49.

Still here to tell the tale.

One certainty in life, we are all going to die eventually ;) I just hope for a quick end, no lingering in Hospice or Nursing Home or whatever. A ticket to Switzerland would suit me, if necessary, but, hopefully, not for a while yet, having too much fun. ;)
I had a mild one at 42....do I win?

vickster

Legendary Member
Glad to report, I have made it to 47 with no dead heart muscle due to a heart attack :okay:
And I eat carbs :ph34r:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I dont wish to pretend I know anything worthy of what would or should be considered nutritional advice, however I note that the maasai tribe in Africa have a diet predominantly of raw meat, milk, cattle blood and fat. They suffer very few ailments and are extremely active and happy peoples. However, their average life expectancy is still only 45 give or take. I'm sure extreme environment takes its toll with a plethora of animals that would like you dead for whatever reasons. Be interesting to know causes of deaths and perhaps that information exists. Again I'm not trying to prove anything. Just an observation. I would be interested to know what role DNA plays in all this, I would imagine quite a large one.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I dont wish to pretend I know anything worthy of what would or should be considered nutritional advice, however I note that the maasai tribe in Africa have a diet predominantly of raw meat, milk, cattle blood and fat. They suffer very few ailments and are extremely active and happy peoples. However, their average life expectancy is still only 45 give or take. I'm sure extreme environment takes its toll with a plethora of animals that would like you dead for whatever reasons. Be interesting to know causes of deaths and perhaps that information exists. Again I'm not trying to prove anything. Just an observation. I would be interested to know what role DNA plays in all this, I would imagine quite a large one.
Some of the Inuit and other Arctic peoples have traditionally survived on a ketogenic diet, high fat from seal blubber and the like, low carb with very little plant material. Interestingly though they also have a high prevalence of a genetic mutation which means they are deficient in a protein called CPT1A, which catalyses the first step of fatty acid oxidation to form ketone bodies. So, counterintuitively it is actually more difficult for them to produce ketones.

However, it is thought that this particular type of CPT1A deficiency has been selected for, and so must be a beneficial adaptation to either living in the cold or to their high fat diet. One theory is that although CPT1A activity is downregulated overall, it is not entirely switched off when they do eat carbs, as it would be in the 'normal' population, so they are able to maintain ketogenesis even in the fed state, avoiding what I think was referred to upthread as 'keto flu' as the body switches between glucose metabolism and fatty acid oxidation. It's also upregulated by certain types of fats found in their traditional diet. It does mean though that if they start to eat more of a 'Western' diet, they become more susceptible to dangerous episodes of hypoglycaemia when fasting, and they do have higher rates of infant mortality.

Fab Foodie

It would appear so, but, I am not sure I will be following your dietary. advice ;)
Ha! Bad genes, growing- up on clotted cream and cigarettes, stressful job, Simple youthful hedonism and not listening to the Doctor. I was a ticking time-bomb. That’s partly the reason why diet, cholesterol and obesity remain of professional interest, even though it’s not my primary area of food expertise....
And I love cooking and eating :-))))

A recent Angiogram showed an incredibly healthy heart despite it’s earlier abuse, which goes to suggest my dietary approach at least for me has value.

Last edited:
Top Bottom