Keto Diet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And ‘carb loading’ really doesn’t work particularly well either. Once you’ve got about 2 hours worth ( for an average Joe at average intensity) of Carbs stored in your muscles and liver, that’s as much as you can get in, it’s pointless trying to ‘load’ any more. Far better to make sure your technique engages the fast twitch muscles, at sufficient switching frequency and force that your Carb usage becomes as efficient as possible, for as long as possible ( high cadence high power )

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

If you want to shift from Primarily carb to primarily fat burning, look at your cycling technique, concentrate on cycling at high power and high cadence ( for arguments sake 150 Watts + at 90 ( ish )rpm) no need for a fad diet.
You've missed the point (unsurpisingly not). You don't burn carbs you burn glucose which is obtained from metabolising the carbs. If you are not eating carbs in your diet (keto diet) then there is a turnover of glucose from the glycogen in the muscles but all your energy is from ketones and fat burning. So instead of having to load with carbs to prevent the bonk after around 2 hours or so you can keep going without refueling.

The way you are cycling has no impact whatosever. According to you you don't need to fuel up after 2 hours if you concentrate on cycling at high power and high cadence, because you're fat burning. ^_^^_^^_^ Have you ever ridden anywhere for longer than 2 hours let alone raced over 50 miles. Please I would like to know.

The Keto diet is high fat low carbs diet and is not a fad diet at all.

" I also steer clear of anything to do with seeded oils as they are very bad for you especially fructose oil syrup which is used as cooking oil for KFC and Macdonald and mostly all other fast food outlets "

This is worrying. Fructose is a sugar (mono-saccharide) it is not an oil/fat, it would in fact caramalise and burn at frying temperatures, are you mixing it with high fructose corn syrup which is ued in a lot of sugary drinks/ready meals. Also, the majority of oils come from seeds/pits.
If your posts are indicative of your understanding of the keto diet, ie mixing up of food groups, poor understanding of where ingredients come from, then you may well be in for trouble at a later date.

You've missed the point (unsurpisingly not). You don't burn carbs you burn glucose which is obtained from metabolising the carbs. If you are not eating carbs in your diet (keto diet) then there is a turnover of glucose from the glycogen in the muscles but all your energy is from ketones and fat burning. So instead of having to load with carbs to prevent the bonk after around 2 hours or so you can keep going without refueling.
You might want to read this.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45195474
I do know the difference between carbs and their metabolites thank you :rolleyes:
The way you are cycling has no impact whatosever. According to you you don't need to fuel up after 2 hours if you concentrate on cycling at high power and high cadence, because you're fat burning. ^_^^_^^_^
That’s not what I said at all, and I think you know it, I said you can use the stores more efficiently, not that they won’t run out. Either that’s poor quality trolling, or you really don’t know, either way have another.:laugh::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Just so you know, here’s a little snippet of actual info and data for you, just to show you how wrong you are there and educate you.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/why-amateurs-shouldnt-try-to-pedal-like-chris-froome-191779

Have you ever ridden anywhere for longer than 2 hours let alone raced over 50 miles. Please I would like to know.
No, not me, never:rolleyes::laugh:
You might want to check who you’re ( mistakenly ) trying to call out in future, and wind your neck in a bit.
I did have another study linked as well, which showed with actual scientific data how the rates of depletion of your glycogen stores vary with varying power and cadence, the reasons why, and the effects of different strategies on fuelling and feeding, but it’s been deleted from my files, which is irritating. But essentially if you pedal at high Cadence, and high power, your stores are used more efficiently, than if you opt for lower cadence high power, and the oxygen demand is also less at high power high cadence because less actual muscle cells are being used.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

I do know the difference between carbs and their metabolites thank you :rolleyes:

either that’s poor quality trolling, or you really don’t know, either way have another.:laugh::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Just so you know, here’s a little snippet of actual info and data for you, just to show you how wrong you are there and educate you.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/why-amateurs-shouldnt-try-to-pedal-like-chris-froome-191779

No, not me, never:rolleyes::laugh:
You might want to check who you’re ( mistakenly ) trying to call out in future, and wind your neck in a bit.
[/QUOTE]

OK just read your link. So I'm reading Oxygen uptake relative to cadence, and err oxygen uptake and oh whats that - err oxygen uptake. Hmm can't seem to see anything about fat burning anywhere . So what's the relevance because i can't see any. Maybe I'm too dumb to see it please point out the relevance of this link. So who are you then that I should show you the respect you deserve?

OK just read your link. So I'm reading Oxygen uptake relative to cadence, and err oxygen uptake and oh whats that - err oxygen uptake. Hmm can't seem to see anything about fat burning anywhere . So what's the relevance because i can't see any. Maybe I'm too dumb to see it please point out the relevance of this link. So who are you then that I should show you the respect you deserve?
The study I wanted to link to has been deleted from my phone, I will try and find it again, it makes for an interesting read.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4314601/
It’s not the one I had before, but this does show that your assertion that various pedalling techniques / cadences / forces, have no effect on fuelling, is completely at odds with the experts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

So you resort to swearing and missed the point entirely. You cannot fry in a sugar syrup, this is because it is a syrup, not an oil. This is nutrition 101.
yeah apologies I was confusing with frying with hydrogenated cooking oils. But still the point about consuming high fructose corn syrup is valid.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

The study I wanted to link to has been deleted from my phone, I will try and find it again, it makes for an interesting read.

OK I concede there may well be an excellent case for the way you are riding to impact on your glycogen levels, but there is still going to be a moment with continual exercise that the body's store of glycogen will get depleted. It might be two hours or even 3 hours. The point I am making is that it doesn't matter as with a keto adapted athlete you will never get the bonk.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4314601/
It’s not the one I had before, but this does show that your assertion that various pedalling techniques / cadences / forces, have no effect on fuelling, is completely at odds with the experts.
Yes but that is the rate of glycogen depletion. and is not fat burning

Top Bottom