Keto Diet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you’re producing Ketones, you are actually dying. The Ketones are there to keep the brain fed / functioning / alive, when all the easily metabolised fuel has been depleted. It’s a very bad idea to do it on purpose.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

I made this statement in a earlier post.

I also steer clear of anything to do with seeded oils as they are very bad for you especially fructose oil syrup which is used as cooking oil for KFC and Mcdonald and mostly all other fast food outlets. I avoid all sugar as much as possible including fruit (fructose).

This is totally wrong and I have corrected myself already in later posts. To explain I was getting ahead of myself in that I was trying to get the fact that High Fructose Corn Syrup was to be avoided and substituted it for Hydrogenated Oil in the wrong place. Sometimes you write things that look right but are not. I should have proof read it back because obviously a syrup is not an oil. Sorry Folks

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

I'm not one for exterme diets, like this - OP I'll refer to your feeling ill after exercise on your other thread. I'd certainly be discussing your current diet with a GP considering your health problems.
Could be so. On the other hand it might not be. I've been in ketosis for 3 months and felt great up until today especially during training - slow pull ups and slow lowering with a wide grip best I've ever done. See how it goes for a while before changing anything.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Could be so. On the other hand it might not be. I've been in ketosis for 3 months and felt great up until today especially during training - slow pull ups and slow lowering with a wide grip best I've ever done. See how it goes for a while before changing anything.

3 months is not long, and it's not a long term sustainable diet. You are likely suffering side effects of the super low carb intake.

If it continues, go see a GP and discuss your diet and training.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

If you’re producing Ketones, you are actually dying. The Ketones are there to keep the brain fed / functioning / alive, when all the easily metabolised fuel has been depleted. It’s a very bad idea to do it on purpose.
I recently read somewhere that the record for fasting was one year and 17 days, and it must have been the ketones that kept the person alive. Appreciate your concerns though

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

I've just done some research and dizziness and nausea is normal as the body changes to burning ketones for fuel. Sometimes refered to as keto flu. It should only be temporary

classic33

Leg End Member
"A ketogenic diet has numerous risks. Top of the list: it's high in saturated fat. McManus recommends that you keep saturated fats to no more than 7% of your daily calories because of the link to heart disease. And indeed, the keto diet is associated with an increase in "bad" LDL cholesterol, which is also linked to heart disease.

Other potential keto risks include these:

Nutrient deficiency.
"If you're not eating a wide variety of vegetables, fruits, and grains, you may be at risk for deficiencies in micronutrients, including selenium, magnesium, phosphorus, and vitamins B and C," McManus says.

Liver problems.
With so much fat to metabolize, the diet could make any existing liver conditions worse.

Kidney problems.
The kidneys help metabolize protein, and McManus says the keto diet may overload them. (The current recommended intake for protein averages 46 grams per day for women, and 56 grams for men).

Constipation.
The keto diet is low in fibrous foods like grains and legumes.

Fuzzy thinking and mood swings.
"The brain needs sugar from healthy carbohydrates to function. Low-carb diets may cause confusion and irritability," McManus says.

Those risks add up — so make sure that you talk to a doctor and a registered dietitian before ever attempting a ketogenic diet."

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

"A ketogenic diet has numerous risks. Top of the list: it's high in saturated fat. McManus recommends that you keep saturated fats to no more than 7% of your daily calories because of the link to heart disease. And indeed, the keto diet is associated with an increase in "bad" LDL cholesterol, which is also linked to heart disease.

Other potential keto risks include these:

Nutrient deficiency.
"If you're not eating a wide variety of vegetables, fruits, and grains, you may be at risk for deficiencies in micronutrients, including selenium, magnesium, phosphorus, and vitamins B and C," McManus says.

Liver problems.
With so much fat to metabolize, the diet could make any existing liver conditions worse.

Kidney problems.
The kidneys help metabolize protein, and McManus says the keto diet may overload them. (The current recommended intake for protein averages 46 grams per day for women, and 56 grams for men).

Constipation.
The keto diet is low in fibrous foods like grains and legumes.

Fuzzy thinking and mood swings.
"The brain needs sugar from healthy carbohydrates to function. Low-carb diets may cause confusion and irritability," McManus says.

Those risks add up — so make sure that you talk to a doctor and a registered dietitian before ever attempting a ketogenic diet."
I pretty much disagree with all of that. At its heart are the health guidelines that exist regarding what is and what is not a healthy diet, which is still being put forward as being the definitive blueprint to eat by, and that for me is totally discredited as they are based on flawed studies funded by the food companies or pharmaceutical companies. I base what I am eating on totally independent studies and my own experiences of duff dangerous medical advice. But then I would wouldn't I?

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Keto Flu, as you want to call it, is normally seen when starting the Ketogenic Diet. You claim you're suffering it months after starting it.

I was on it to take me off medication, which isn't what a pharmaceutical company would want. Unless they had a vested interest in the diet.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bill you do worry me a bit.

You seem to fixate on certain things and refuse to listen to advice - e.g. wouldn't take anyone else's opinion on statins (loads of us on CC are on them with good results and no side effects) - they unfortunately didn't agree with you, and a long term Keto diet isn't good, especially if you've not got much fat to burn, and I no doubt this diet isn't going to help with your heart problems.

It's too extreme, and over time places excess demand on the body. You also mentor other cyclists and you won't find a pro team nutritionist advising a keto diet over anything other than a short time.

I'm seeing some quite 'stuck' opinions so we might as well not respond. You do what you want, but don't preach to us how good a keto diet is. It's not sustainable.

If you still get dizzy spells, I'd be off to the GP asap given age/heart issues and the diet you are on - hence the 'worry'.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Bill you do worry me a bit.

You seem to fixate on certain things and refuse to listen to advice - e.g. wouldn't take anyone else's opinion on statins (loads of us on CC are on them with good results and no side effects) - they unfortunately didn't agree with you, and a long term Keto diet isn't good, especially if you've not got much fat to burn, and I no doubt this diet isn't going to help with your heart problems.

It's too extreme, and over time places excess demand on the body. You also mentor other cyclists and you won't find a pro team nutritionist advising a keto diet over anything other than a short time.

I'm seeing some quite 'stuck' opinions so we might as well not respond. You do what you want, but don't preach to us how good a keto diet is. It's not sustainable.

If you still get dizzy spells, I'd be off to the GP asap given age/heart issues and the diet you are on - hence the 'worry'.
My blood pressure this morning was 116/63. On Saturday afternoon it was 168/103. I was physically sick 4 times, and I was experiencing loss of balance. On Sunday morning still had some slight symptoms of balance issues but had a raging thirst and I consumed maybe a a litre or so of water over a couple of hours. I've had issues related motion sickness in the past but always felt more ill when I closed my eyes. Not so in this case. You are putting this down to my diet and you may be right, but it might be over exertion or dehydration. I haven't deviated from the keto diet. Tomorrow should be interesting as I'm doing my weight training using the technique I adopted recently regarding slowly lifting and lowering to fatigue.
I am passionate about life style being the best option re health issues and for me the keto diet is just one part of that. I may be dead after my training tomorrow but I'd rather that than living and feeling like crap all the time. This was never going to be the path to concensus. I've been labeled a nutter ever since I brought up the statins issue way back in the cycling plus days. That's OK I'm a big boy and can take it. If it's all the same to you I won't be going over that old chestnut as I don't want to get banned again at least until after friday.
My son is a big boy and he knows that I'm on a keto diet. He isn't and will be unlikely to do so. So you can sleep easily tonight on that bit.
Seriously thank you for your concern. I am also concerned for you on a list of meds but don't take that as me preaching to you. Just opening the door so you can make a rational decision as have I.

Last edited:

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I have to say a keto diet is sustainable but not addictive like a high carb diet.
It keeps the insulin low and this is why it is now used for type 2 diabetics, who often suffer from heart disease. Always a good idea to have issues checked on any diet though

Top Bottom