Keto Diet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

No it doesn’t, you’ve misinterpreted it badly.
Instead of sending me a number links to read, which I have read. Please would you mind copying and pasting anything which says that you are not going to eventually deplete your glycogen energy stores in continual exercise, notwithstanding there is going to be a certain degree of fat oxidation. If you would refer to the study between low carb and high carb athletes I posted 4th post of the thread and you will see the different degrees of fat oxidation between the two groups.

Last edited:
Instead of sending me a number links to read, which I have read. Please would you mind copying and pasting anything which says that you are not going to eventually deplete your glycogen energy stores in continual exercise, notwithstanding there is going to be a certain degree of fat oxidation. If you would refer to the study between low carb and high carb athletes I posted 4th post of the thread and you will see the different degrees of fat oxidation between the two groups.
As you can see in my first reply ( if you look ) I said you can help preserve your glycogen reserves, dependant on how you ride, not that they would never run out.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
OK. Shake hands?

Mod note: that would be a nice idea as this thread is very close to being locked re the continual sniping going on.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Quotes taken from this link that you asked me to read and which you said do not bear out what I was saying.

Factors affecting fat oxidation
Exercise intensity – One of the most important factors that determines the rate of fat oxidation during exercise is the intensity. Although several studies have described the relationship between exercise intensity and fat oxidation, only recently was this relationship studied over a wide range of intensities(2). In absolute terms, carbohydrate oxidation increases proportionally with exercise intensity, whereas the rate of fat oxidation initially increases, but decreases again at higher exercise intensities (see figure 1). So, although it is often claimed that you have to exercise at low intensities to oxidise fat, this is not necessarily true.

Dietary effects – The other important factor is diet. A diet high in carbohydrate will suppress fat oxidation, and a diet low in carbohydrate will result in high fat oxidation rates. Ingesting carbohydrate in the hours before exercise will raise insulin and subsequently suppress fat oxidation by up to 35%(5) or thereabouts. This effect of insulin on fat oxidation may last as long as six to eight hours after a meal, and this means that the highest fat oxidation rates can be achieved after an overnight fast.

I can imagine the situation in a road race where the pace is getting higher and higher and you ask the riders ahead to ease down because the intensity doesn't suit your optimum level for fat burning.[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

err anybody can do this if they want, no special diet required. Same with fat burning you can get the same adaptions through training.
You are right you don't need a special diet to not eat anything for 24 hours. Funny that. Please read the 4th post of this thread for the 2nd part of your post.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You are right you don't need a special diet to not eat anything for 24 hours. Funny that. Please read the 4th post of this thread for the 2nd part of your post.

Still true, you can use fat as a primary fuel at high levels of your max aerobic capacity through training. You don’t need a ketogenic diet for that. Diet might assist but it’s not the only way to get the adaptions.

What is Fructose Oil Syrup? There is no fructose added.
It’s actually high fructose corn syrup.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-fructose_corn_syrup
It’s not good news, it actually causes the receptors in the brain to which the hormone Ghrelin, produced by the liver, to tell the brain you’ve eaten enough binds, to be blocked, so you still feel hungry when you’re not. I don’t think it’s used much outside of the USA, but they use it to sweeten all sorts of things.

I can imagine the situation in a road race where the pace is getting higher and higher and you ask the riders ahead to ease down because the intensity doesn't suit your optimum level for fat burning.
It’s not so much about the fat burning, that’s not the primary concern, the primary concern is that whilst you’ve shifted the feeding equilibrium to fat ( triglyceride ), by using the requisite power at cadence ( high / high ) you’re not depleting the glycogen stores as much. This means when you hit a hill, and you find yourself at high power relative lower cadence, the equilibrium shifts to primarily Glycogen feeding, and you have enough stores left, to get you up the hill. It’s strategy / tactics, and it’s one virtually all top pro’s use, for the reasons I outlined. Also a high / high tactic is more oxygen efficient, because of the number of muscle fibres, and type of muscle fibres engaged ( fast twitch at high force / frequency ).

Top Bottom