Kids behaving dangerously on bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Just sending this email to the council after a little encounter in the Woolston area of Southampton:

Hi there, sorry but I cannot find who to contact specifically, and if I knew where these lads were from I would have contacted the school directly so this is a bit generic...

I ride a cycle home from work and my shift sometimes takes me past a couple of schools during their kicking-out time. Today, riding out of Porchester road onto Station road and up the little railway bridge I was alarmed to see three lads of around 14-15 years riding bikes towards me on the wrong side of the road. Infact two were on the same bike, and all three were staring behind them, not watching where they were going.

Thinking to myself that this was an accident waiting to happen (and knowing Southampton's roads and traffic quite well from many years on a cycle myself) I shouted a warning for them to look where they were going. I had a quick shoulder check as I reached the top of the bridge and saw them suddenly ride in front of an oncoming car. Luckily the driver was clued up enough to perform a brake and had to sound his horn.

I'm afraid I have no idea where they were from, but if someone could alert the schools in the area about this, and the potential dangers involved I think it would be worth while. Perhaps the local schools could work with the council on a Bikeability scheme if one is not already in place, and make sure that only those kids who have done the basic course ride to work?

Many thanks

D

Draconian at the end, perhaps. But I think worthwhile after seeing that. ;)

Vidor06

Long term loafer
'who have done the course ride to work?'

Draconian, surely not?

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Vidor06 said:
'who have done the course ride to work?'

Draconian, surely not?

Aghh crap! Should have been "school":blush:

Its been a long day. I've had to do a four person job on me own again and I'm wrecked. Will send a follow up email if I get the chance.

"Kids behaving dangerously on bikes"

Was that what Neil Morrisey and Martin Clunes were in before they moved into the flat below Deborah?

Trevrev said:
Kids will be kids !!!

Yes, and thank you to the alert driver who narrowly missed flattening me in Hull City Centre sometime around 1983 when for some reason on my Raleigh Commando I did a U-turn straight across busy road without thinking to look.

I wasn't SUPPOSED to be riding on the main roads, I had gone off on an unauthorised adventure....

Trevrev

Veteran
Choppers and Grifters were the bikes of my earlier years, and we were always trying to out do each other with who could wheelie the furthest.
The grifter gang ( Me included ) were always out wheelied by the Chopper Boys!!
Choppers were great for two's up because of the long seat.
I was always giving mates a lift home from school on my bike......So i was guilty of being a dangerous kid.
It could have been worse, the kids you saw Downfader, could have jumped off their bike and pelted you with stones!!!

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Nah, I have had kids go for me before but these were just plonkers. I know people say kids will be kids, but come on.. someone's Mum is gonna be really messed up if they find out nipper has been hit by a car.

martynjc1977

Veteran
Sheffield_Tiger said:
Yes, and thank you to the alert driver who narrowly missed flattening me in Hull City Centre sometime around 1983 when for some reason on my Raleigh Commando I did a U-turn straight across busy road without thinking to look.

I wasn't SUPPOSED to be riding on the main roads, I had gone off on an unauthorised adventure....

LOL Hull city center is an adventure.

martynjc1977

Veteran
Thinking back to when I where younger and some of the things I did on bikes, probably made me the rider I am today. Tbh only as adults do we see the real risk we took as kids, I just hope my son does not do some of the stuff I did.

Trevrev

Veteran
downfader said:
Nah, I have had kids go for me before but these were just plonkers. I know people say kids will be kids, but come on.. someone's Mum is gonna be really messed up if they find out nipper has been hit by a car.[/QUOT

You are just taking things too far.......!! You've wasted your time on writing a letter about Kids doing kids things.
Kids will fall from trees, Kids will break legs playing football, Kids will fight each other and get cuts and bruises.........Just let them grow up!!!
You're the plonker......!!

Trevrev said:
You're the plonker......!!

Bit harsh..

But there are other things that make it not as straightforward as the shool stopping kids bringing their bikes into school (the limit of their powers). I mean, ban the bikes from being taken into the school grounds, have them left outside the grounds all day and hope they are there at the end of every day?

It's not the school or council's job IMO above and beyond providing an option/encouraging bikeability. Surely, ultimately it's a parent's responsibility to decide whether their child is road safe

Trevrev

Veteran
You need to take the rough with the smooth to grow into an adult ffs!!
No matter how well you try to teach kids right from wrong. You will always learn the hard way.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Kids are a mare....

I've had kids on my route home do the same, then see me and chase.....result is they nearly went under a van..... the driver had fortunately seen the kid...........

My son is/sort of the same age....... he's been well 'ear ached' by me about using speed hence he's sort of sensible......:rain: ish (also seen his dad knocked off by cars as well)... he does do 25 mph down the road on his 20" 6 speed MTB......;)...told him not to tell mum........:rolleyes:.....

Top Bottom