Kids hand signals - tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can think of some useful purposes it might serve. Car waiting to turn out of a road you are turning left into can proceed if you have signaled your intention to turn. Similarly a pedestrian waiting to cross might appreciate your signal. A cyclist on your wheel might find it useful too.

Yah - I suppose... Ped waiting to cross the road I'm turning in to? It's their priority and I'll stop for them. Likewise, if a ped is crossing farther up the road I'll let them know I'm turning off. Otherwise my signalling or not signalling shouldn't make any difference to the behaviour of anyone else. The drivers can be kept guessing. My safety is more important than their two seconds.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you don't have the confidence or balancing skills to stick your arm out horizontal at shoulder level, it's a whole lot easier to stick it out at somewhere between nipple and navel height. Try it.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Yah - I suppose... Ped waiting to cross the road I'm turning in to? It's their priority and I'll stop for them. Likewise, if a ped is crossing farther up the road I'll let them know I'm turning off. Otherwise my signalling or not signalling shouldn't make any difference to the behaviour of anyone else. The drivers can be kept guessing. My safety is more important than their two seconds.

Drivers who have to guess are more likely to make stupid mistakes, quite likely involving you. Signalling your intent is a lot safer than not.

Drivers who have to guess are more likely to make stupid mistakes, quite likely involving you. Signalling your intent is a lot safer than not.

How exactly? If I'm turning left and fail to indicate a following driver is less likely to overtake through the corner. less likely to speed up on my tail in anticipation of me turning left 'out of his way'. The driver sitting waiting to pull out of the road I'm pulling into is less likely to pull out - and this keeps my options open, if for example I fail to make the turn through tyre failure/ice whatever it leaves me a clear road ahead.

Happy for you to try to convince me otherwise ...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
While I agree with the other two, a motorist should not proceed just because oncoming traffic is signalling.
If I'm signLling left to the driver in the side road it's only a short signal after making eye contact. If you mean I could be turning left beyond the junction then I'd be nuts to start signalling before passing the one with a car in it.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
If I'm signLling left to the driver in the side road it's only a short signal after making eye contact. If you mean I could be turning left beyond the junction then I'd be nuts to start signalling before passing the one with a car in it.
Also highly unlikely that you've left your left arm out in an indicating position since joining the road three junctions back

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
How exactly? If I'm turning left and fail to indicate a following driver is less likely to overtake through the corner. less likely to speed up on my tail in anticipation of me turning left 'out of his way'. The driver sitting waiting to pull out of the road I'm pulling into is less likely to pull out - and this keeps my options open, if for example I fail to make the turn through tyre failure/ice whatever it leaves me a clear road ahead.

Happy for you to try to convince me otherwise ...
I've had more people left hook me when I didn't signal, cos they simply "must get ahead", than those who have hung back and waited for me when I have signaled. Personal experience.

Reactions: mjr

Cyphrex

Regular
Left Turn: Left arm straight out.

Right Turn: Left arm bent up at the elbow.

Stop/slow down: Left arm bent down at the elbow.
:blink:

:stop:
Don't use the other hand as it could confuse a vehicle driver and if you have to grab the brakes suddenly you might do an endie (launch yourself over the handlebars); why most right brake sets are for the rear tire to slow you down rather than an abrupt stop where your body keeps going! ;)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In Canada, It's

Left Turn: Left arm straight out.

Right Turn: Left arm bent up at the elbow.

Stop/slow down: Left arm bent down at the elbow.
Isn't the left arm up more widely used around the world for "stopping/slowing"?

Lateral thinking, and purely by chance

My nephews and nieces used to stay with us for weekends

We used to take them out on the U + 2

Making signalling part of the ride and making the "correct" signal at the "correct r time" as a competition worked well

Jelly babies were awarded at each occasion - 2 for the closest 1 for a signal

It then seemed to be natural when they returned to their own bikes

Top Bottom