Killed cyclist 'not wearing helmet'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funtboy

Cab said:
And the evidence that the helmet would have prevented these injuries..?

I'm not sure where you're going with this. We don't know exactly what might have happened but what harm has done to mention it and highlight it? I hate to be a killjoy but everyone should wear a helmet really. If it takes propaganda to achieve this then so be it.

bryce

Cab said:
The facts surrounding helmets and the contribition they play in safety are rather muddled, at best. I don't like seeing someones death being used in this way without a more solid argument. It is simply distasteful.

Agreed that arguing this in the thread's context is distasteful. However, I can't see how not wearing a helmet can be construed as equally safe as wearing a helmet. We can't choose what type of incident we will be involved in or how fast we are travelling when we crash. It's down to each individual whether to take that risk but the Police are responsible for our safety so I can understand them making reference to it in this case, even if their comment is misguided or scientifically inaccurate.

I suffered a suspected fractured skull last week whilst wearing a (now cracked) helmet. If I wasn't wearing one, I suspect my head would now be cracked and I wouldn't be writing this. I can't (and wouldn't want to) measure that scientifically!

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Flippancy aside - do we really need another helmet debate on here? I get annoyed at this form of reporting. I get annoyed at the difficulty in separating good science from bad science, anecdote and opinion. I get annoyed of the blame-the-victim attitude to helmet use in this country, irrespective of whether they can protect in a serious accident. But we can all live without another cyclechat slanging match.

I also get annoyed by people who sit on newspapers left on sofas.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Cab said:
Isn't clear whether a helmet would have saved him, of course. It concerns me that the intention of releasing this information and reporting it in such a way is to imply that one should wear a helmet

I think we should be careful of over-interpreting these little snippets. There's no way of knowing from the item whether the police mentioned it without prompting, or whether they simply said he died of head injuries and then were asked by reporters if he had a helmet. There's no way of knowing from this report whether they connected the lack of helmet with the injuries.

It's also likely that any spin was put on by the reporter, not the cops; but to be honest, it's probably just careless writing.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Yes.... and no. I think that though an article can report the truth, it's just as important about how the truth is reported! A very interesting example happened recently on my local news where a teenager was killed driving a car -it was reported that "alcohol and drug testing had yet to be done". I'm sure it was probably true the tests hadn't been done, but if I was the parent, I'd have been outraged (and more interestingly, about a year previously some teenage sisters who had been drinking and driving and got killed had no such aspersions cast or any mention of alcohol or drugs testing prior to when it was done).

So yes, it sounds like the BBC article was truthful. But then you also have to think why don't other road traffic accidents have statements like "the car driver did not have his lights on" (even if it was in the middle of a clear sunny day, as sometimes having a light on might make you more noticeable at a junction)?

gratts said:
This thread seems a bit of a non starter to me..
Someone died. They weren't wearing a helmet. It's a fact.
That's exactly what the article says.

People are just inferring what they want from it.

Andy 71

I always wear a helmet, but am pro-choice. To me it makes sense, but it's not as crucial as say....lights after dark.

At the end of the day, it is only a lump of polystyrene and will only protect against low-speed / low impact spills. I suppose that in more serious cases, it's better than nothing anyway, but it's no substitute for care on the part of cyclist or motorist.

However, I would question why the fact the victim was not wearing a helmet has been publicised in the case.

Could it be that the fact the cyclist was not wearing one (and presumably not on a cycle path) is intended to be used as an argument by the driver and his/her insurer to devolve themselves of all responsibility and to weasle out of paying up?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
User3143 said:
Yeah good one;) stick to the OP though please.

So you wear a helmet but RLJ and ride without lights. I don't wear a helmet but do not RLJ and ride with lights on.

I find it amusing that you post "always wear a helmet" yet risk compensate elsewhere ;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
That's a beautiful example of risk compensation!

Jake

def wear a helemt, but its up to teh cyclist if they do, a bit like lights. I'm sure a law will come in at some point saying we have to. I belive in them, rightly or wrongly, but its my choice. You hear stories of people who have been punched and they fall to the ground, and because they bang they head on the pavement, they are killed. so, i would like to minimise the risk to me. My choice

Funtboy

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
So you wear a helmet but RLJ and ride without lights. I don't wear a helmet but do not RLJ and ride with lights on.

I find it amusing that you post "always wear a helmet" yet risk compensate elsewhere ;)

I RLJ (safely) but always have lights on in the dark and big shiney orange helmet as well as a hi-viz vest. I would be daft not to wear this stuff on my commute.

4F

User3143 said:
And...still does not mean that you will not have an accident where the use of a helmet could prevent injury.

I agree, however I am pro choice.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
RichK said:
Except that wearing seat belts is compulsory.
Except also that wearing seat belts saves lives, without question, whereas the jury is very much out on cycle helmets.

4F

Funtboy said:
I RLJ (safely) but always have lights on in the dark and big shiney orange helmet as well as a hi-viz vest. I would be daft not to wear this stuff on my commute.

I am sure the bloke that RLJ'd and hit domtyler side on considered he was RLJ'ing safely.

Top Bottom