Killed cyclist 'not wearing helmet'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cab

Cab

User3143 said:
Because of this

Your'e making no sense. It cannot be extrapolated from what I have said that it is a good idea to try to persuade the populace to wear cycle helmets.

J4CKO

I am interested in the debate about helmets, my thinking is that if I slide on leaves whilst going round a bend, I would rather have one on, if nothing else it stops grazing your head on concrete, whether or not it reduces the impact much I dont know, it must be better than bone hitting concrete.

What it does do is give a visual signal to motorists that you take your safety seriously and perhaps if it makes them think they may treat us differently , they may also think that they can knock us off as our marvellous bit of polystyrene will save us but I would hope not.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
J4CKO said:
What it does do is give a visual signal to motorists that you take your safety seriously and perhaps if it makes them think they may treat us differently , they may also think that they can knock us off as our marvellous bit of polystyrene will save us but I would hope not.
Unfortunately 'hope' doesn't help. There's significant research to show that motorists do precisely that - drive closer to riders with helmets (presumably because subliminally they see helmeted cyclists as 'less vulnerable').

bryce

I would rather 1,000 cars pass me an inch closer if, when I have a crash which causes my head to hit something hard, I am wearing a helmet.

bryce said:
I would rather 1,000 cars pass me an inch closer if, when I have a crash which causes my head to hit something hard, I am wearing a helmet.

I wear a helmet but I'm quite clear why I wear one and what I expect of it.
What kind of impact do you think it will withstand, what's it designed for, how's it tested and is the standard any good? You need to answer those questions for yourself.

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/papers/c2023.pdf

At what speed do you think a helmet ceases to prevent brain injury? The answer is 12-15mph.

In other words a helmet is quite likely to save you from yourself but not from a greater impact such as a car collision.

Balance this against other evidence, such as passing and potential rotational neck injury and it's not so clear cut as it first seems, though overall I'm in favour of wearing mine.

yenrod

Obviously, the faster - the less effective: will be the helmet 'cept for the fact that any degree of cushioning prior to the skull impacting with hard, bone breaking material, WILL HELP !!!!!!

Isnt that bloody obvious :biggrin:

Everytime i see a cyclist without any helmet - I hope for the best for them !

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's also obvious that the world is flat and that the sun revolves around it. Hence all that boring shoot like evidence and statistics and stuff like that...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Although the logic for wearing Magic Foam Hats (TM) seems good and sensible, it turns out that they are largely irrelevant to cyclist safety. Mandatory helmet laws have a negative safety impact.

peanut

as usual we are being placed on the back foot and defending our right to wear helmets or not. The real problem here is the appalling standard of driving we have in the UK and we car drivers are all guilty of it .

Instead of concentrating on getting cyclists to wear helmets the Police and Government should be focusing on why cyclists are getting knocked off their bikes and killed in the UK in ever increasing numbers.'

perhaps then something constructive will be done to reduce speed . In the mean time its much easier to take a pop at cyclists because there will always be brain dead morons who flout the law and jump red lights and throw their bikes all over the roads and pavements in complete defiance of the law.

We are our own worst enemy:angry:

By the way if you are a driver and think that you are not part of the problem take this little test this morning.
Take a look at your speedo at various points in your commute to work today. Compare the speedo with the speed restriction in force in built up areas . See what I mean!

Top Bottom