'Kin Hell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Under £250 is cheap.

I'm about to be hit with a £700-750 bill for a pair (varifocals needing a special lens as I'm very short-sighted).
I just got had for £757. New frames £243, varifocal lenses £474, and a scan of the eyes £40 which is not covered by the NHS as part of the eye test.
As I posted in another section earlier this week, I think I may try Boots next time. This was with the optician I have used for 20 + years. The old guy who's business it was retired last year and new owners took over, with new prices.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I just got had for £757. New frames £243, varifocal lenses £474, and a scan of the eyes £40 which is not covered by the NHS as part of the eye test.
As I posted in another section earlier this week, I think I may try Boots next time. This was with the optician I have used for 20 + years. The old guy who's business it was retired last year and new owners took over, with new prices.

My optician charged £10 for that test to give you a comparison. And the lenses I'm getting are the top end model for a price comparison, with frames about £100-150.

stephec

Legendary Member
I need a separate set for distance and reading, rather than go for vari's I had two pairs made on Boot's two for one offer, that way I can leave a pair in the car permanently for driving.

What I don't understand is paying a fortune for a pair of frames just because then have a famous clothing brand name stamped on them.

The spectacle industry is a near monopoly with most high street and designer frames being made by Luxottica Group S.p.A. The markup on designer frames compared to basic ones is ludicrous.
There are some companies trying to break the monopoly with direct to customer sales.

I saw a really neat design made by a small outfit in Berlin called Mykita. Expensive but woth it.

https://mykita.com/en/the-design

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
About 30 years ago I looked at the quote for a new pair of glasses, worked out how many more pairs I'd need by the time I croaked, and had my eyes lazered. One of my better decisions - 20/20 vision and savings way north of a grand, and counting...

Fashion clothing markups are 200-300%. Fashipn eyeware markups are over 1000%.
No. Don’t confuse markup and professional fees. You have to pay for qualified people’s time just like you would pay someone to fix your car/washing machine/etc or to cook you a restaurant meal.

As I said on the other thread Dave7 referred to, I’m retired now so not my problem. NHS fees are laughable so somewhere along the line all that expensive equipment used to check the health of your eyes, and the time of the optometrist and his staff, have to be paid for.

The business model is skewed, certainly, because the spectacle wearer ends up subsidising the eye exam. Ideally you should pay significantly more for a full eye examination and less for your spectacles.

EDIT: Oh, and 1000% markup is a fairytale. In my business, a designer frame which I paid £100 for from the importer might have gone on the shelf at £275 to £300. The big multiples might price it higher so they can offer "50% off" every few weeks

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

I'm on a state pension plus pension credit and don't have to pay for my glasses, looking at the prices quoted on here I'm glad of that.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I get free eye tests and just had a scan and I think I could get free specs but don't really like the look of the frames. Ordered 2 different style pairs for £69 and one to get some anti glare coating for night driving at I think £45 extra.
Not that I do much night driving and no idea how effective they are anyway but since I have saved a lot of cash due to the lockdown I thought I might as well splash out.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My reading glasses were about a hundred pounds, Specsavers on a new consultation.
My distance are a completely different prescription and were more like 200 a few years back, Boss Orange frames and a nice case.

The galling thing is that I use none of them the vast majority of the time. I'm fine in everyday situations.
Distance get used for driving occasionally. The readers get used about 30 minutes per night for book reading, and for reading small text on labels and similar.

Top Bottom