Kinda lucky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I finished work at 2 today and when I got in the missis had gone to town with her mam....I thought result and the bike came straight out. I was planning on a nice quiet hour or two in the saddle and my teenage son decided to come with me. The ride was cut short after about 8 miles as my son (who hasn't ridden since last summer) really had jelly legs so rather than making him over do it we took a short cut home.
As I got back on our street I commented that my left pedal felt funny and a second later the pedal arm came off so I was kinda lucky that we had stopped when we did or I would have had a very long walk home. None of the spanners or sockets that I have would fit into the pedal arm to tighten it back up as my 14mm sockets were to thick so I ended up grinding an old one thinner to fit inside the arm.
Thing is the bike is only about a month old and was supposed to have had a good check over before leaving the shop so I'm just hoping that the guy had forgotten to tighten it properly and it's not going to work loose again as I don't want the added weight of a socket rench every time I go out riding.

Dave

col

Legendary Member
Similar thing happened to me a long time ago, I always have the tool for the job now, just in case.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I guess this was not the case with your pedals, but those I have had recently also have an allen key hole, so they can be tightened up with an allen key rather than a spanner. Much easier to carry allen keys about.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Thing is the bike is only about a month old and was supposed to have had a good check over before leaving the shop so I'm just hoping that the guy had forgotten to tighten it properly and it's not going to work loose again as I don't want the added weight of a socket rench every time I go out riding.

Dave
Time to head back to the shop with bike, seeking an explanation, maybe ?? :angry:

OP
OP
Dave Martin

Dave Martin

I didn't want to bother going all the way back to the shop as the job was simple once I found a socket to fit. I wish mine had an allen key it would be much easier. I already carry them plus spanners plus spare innertube and patches with tyre levers now I'mon the lookout for a compact lightweight rachet with a 14mm socket.
I don't intend getting stuck miles away from home.

Dave

col

Legendary Member
Which shop was it? Maybe unfair but my first guess would be Hellfrauds. Unless there is some damage to a thread (a good eye should spot that), with a properly tightened pedal that won't happen again.
Many moons ago when I loved the kalchof coup de mond, I had to go back to the shop I bought it from several times for this same thing. The guy used a measured thing that clicked when it was at the right torque, but it still loosened?

col

Legendary Member
What was the eventual diagnosis? a damaged thread ?
I Think it was something to do with the cogs not being properly seated down on the crank square, if you know what I mean? So the right torque wasnt to blame, there was still some very slight movement possible, after a few attempts I think he took a mallet to it, to make sure it was seated well.? Had it happen to my new mountain bike fifteen years ago, it happened miles out and I ended up using one pedal to limp home, its why I always carry the tool with me now, just in case.

OP
OP
Dave Martin

Dave Martin

I got the bike from a shop similar to Halfords half car spares half bikes . The guy who services the bikes seemed quite knowlegeable when I was talking to him but after finding loose rear brake blocks on my first ride now this I'm beginning to wonder if it was more sales patter. Don't think the bike will be going back there to get serviced anyway now .

Dave

OP
OP
Dave Martin

Dave Martin

Had to take some rental dvds back today and with road closure on the main route it makes it a 12.5 mile round trip so I decided to do it on the bike instead of the car when I got in from work.
Good job I managed to get a compact 14mm socket because all was going well then around 5 miles into the ride my left pedal had worked itself loose again :sad:
Couple of questions because it's now bugging me.....does the shaft on the left hand side of the crank that holds the pedal arm on have a left or right handed thread ? Mine tightens clock wise and obviously you are rotating it anti clock wise in the direction the nut unscrews...is this right ? And would a couple of drops of thread lock hurt anything to try and stop it loosening?
I an fairly new to cycling not like some of you guys and my progress is coming along nicely, ( I didn't even feel like I'd warmed up today so I'm well chuffed), but this pedal issue is spoiling what is otherwise a very good bike and a fantastic hobby for me and it's really starting to knock my confidence on trying longer distance rides now.

Dave

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
If it's the crank arm it is a normal clockwise thread on both sides ie: does up clockwise, undoes anti-clockwise.

Normally the only anti-clockwise threads on a bike with the industry standard specs are the left hand pedal and the right hand bottom bracket cup.

If it keeps working loose I'm sorry to say the crank arm may have been damaged when it worked loose the first time.

Top Bottom