Kinetics Brompton Rohloff kit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A couple of members have Rohloff Bromptons - not sure if they are still with us.

While I'm on, have you considered the Alfine 11?

Much cheaper, and it has recently been beefed up so no worries about reliability.

Electronic shifting as well, as @JhnBssll could explain.

I've had/ have had both on ebikes.

The Rohloff has a better range, but I reckon the Alfine 11 would be more than adequate and sturdy enough for a Brommie.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
Thanks. I haven't looked at the Alfine. I have a Rohloff hub on my Thorn Sterling MTB and like it a lot so haven't been looking elsewhere but I will now you mention it.

I'm interested in chatting to anyone who has fitted the Kinetics kit. The rear triangle looks simple enough to replace and I am confident with the Rohloff setup as I recently replaced the shifter and cables on my Thorn Rohloff without problems. Kinetics mention they sometimes have problems unfastening the hinge bolts but I tried mine and they are not stuck.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I can't help with the kit, but contact with Kinetics is a bit hit and miss.

Nothing dodgy, it's just they don't always answer emails, sometimes for weeks.

I see there's a note on the website saying the owner will be 'away from the shop' for a couple of weeks.

You being in Spain could add up to a difficult transaction.

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

Yes, I am in contact with them but getting more detail has been slow hence my quest for first hand experience.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hopefully someone will be along to help.

In the meantime, I was interested to read you have a Rohloff on an MTB.

The original Herr Rohloff designed the hub because he was doing what we would now call mountain biking and got fed up with smashing derailers.

That's why he made the hub so robust, to the point of being agricultural.

It was designed to be thrashed in adverse conditions.

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

I've had this one for about 10 years. In fact Thorn stopped making an MTB a few years ago but continue to fit them to their tourers. Just last year I took my wheel to Bridgwater and SJS replaced the oil seals, one of which had begun to leak quite noticeably. At my age, these days, I don't thrash anything but I do appreciate fine engineering and the Rohloff is way up there. It is used daily and has never let me down.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I have a 8 speed Alfine hub on my folding kiddywheeler and it suits me fine.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I was considering a Rohloff, when first building my current (single-speed) MTB

My mate had one on his Charge Duster, which (for him) was easier than going down the single-speed route, plus he got to keep gears

Had I gone for a frame with vertical dropouts, I think I would have done the same.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've had this one for about 10 years. In fact Thorn stopped making an MTB a few years ago but continue to fit them to their tourers. Just last year I took my wheel to Bridgwater and SJS replaced the oil seals, one of which had begun to leak quite noticeably. At my age, these days, I don't thrash anything but I do appreciate fine engineering and the Rohloff is way up there. It is used daily and has never let me down.

The seals are designed to be slightly porous.

Some stories of Rohloffs seeping oil in aircraft holds.

Rohloff point out you can run the hub 'without oil' because even after draining, there's still a coating left on the moving parts.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I can't help with the kit, but contact with Kinetics is a bit hit and miss.

Nothing dodgy, it's just they don't always answer emails, sometimes for weeks.

I see there's a note on the website saying the owner will be 'away from the shop' for a couple of weeks.

You being in Spain could add up to a difficult transaction.
I find Ben ok on a face to face basis but he does tend to be a bit eccentric. I don’t think he is in any way dodgy but is an interesting character. He fell out with Brompton as he was very critical of some of their engineering and cannot sell conventional Bromptons but seems to get them to convert in interesting ways.
My last purchase was an Ice Recumbent and I found him fair to deal with.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
He's not the first to fall out with Brompton.

The owner of Spa Cycles did, although he could have a fall out in an empty room.

Brompton also refuse to supply bikes to Nano for their ebike kit.

You can understand that in a way, except Nano were doing kits for years while Brompton faffed around trying to get a factory one to market.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I'm interested in chatting to anyone who has fitted the Kinetics kit. The rear triangle looks simple enough to replace and I am confident with the Rohloff setup as I recently replaced the shifter and cables on my Thorn Rohloff without problems. Kinetics mention they sometimes have problems unfastening the hinge bolts but I tried mine and they are not stuck.
I do not own a Kinetic Rohloff Brompton but I have ridden one. The bike was converted by Ben in his workshop and the owner is very happy with it - it also has the front fork and disk brakes. I consider the rear triangle good engineering (personally I'd go for the version with integrated rack but that's a matter of taste) and would assume the swap is not different from an ordinary swap of the rear triangle or a change of the rear hinge bolt. It is however a bit of an expert job.

Regarding the Rohloff on the Brommi: I do own a couple of bikes with a Rohloff hub and this is for a reason. The thing is bullet proof, close to maintenance free and never let me down. And for me clearly the best of all geared hubs currently available, avoiding the downsides of derailleur setups while being almost as efficient. For the Brommi however I considered it to be an overdose (and to a degree still do). Just that I do not like the alternatives too much including the Alfine 11. So in the meantime I own a Rohloff Brompton, too. It is definitively a bit of an overdose as I never needed the lowest gears until today (which obviously depends from the terrain you are riding), it is expensive, it is heavy and my 2-speed is way faster and much lighter, so I clearly prefer it in everyday life and for my commute. But for a touring setup I'd consider the Rohloff a good choice. Not necessary and a bit of a luxury, but hey. Typically with 50/13 or 54/13.

Regarding the sourcing: Ben is a bit famous for deadlines and delivery times passing by. I've never dealt with him personally but have heard endless stories from people who have. But he is a honest and nice guy as people agree and the things he makes are solid and good work. Just that it may take a loooooong time until your order is done - he is a one man band and has a lot of work, so things are not always running smoothly in regards of communication and time scheduling. So possibly it helps to be a very relaxed person to deal with him. ^_^ Other than that you can buy his rear triangele from SJS as well - they do sell Kinetics parts. Stock and color vary but they are usually delivering fast if they have the desired item in stock.
There is also a ti-triangle for the Rohloff available from Vostok, in case you want to go for alternatives.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

The seals are designed to be slightly porous.

Some stories of Rohloffs seeping oil in aircraft holds.

Rohloff point out you can run the hub 'without oil' because even after draining, there's still a coating left on the moving parts.

Yes, mine oozed a little for years. Early last year when it began to drip it was time to act, if only to stop the mess! (Not overfilled, I always put only 15ml Rohloff oil in during a change.)

Top Bottom